RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noted that the steering is stiff after a drive lately and had a chance to check the VC just now. I put the transmission and transfer case in neutral, jacked up the left front wheel and tried to turn the wheel with a torque wrench set to 60 Ft.Lbs. I only got about 15 degrees of rotation in one minute. The only thing I may have done "wrong" is that I turned the wheel backwards to avoid unscrewing the lug nut. I'll do the passenger side, turning forwards and report back.

I'm also going to drain the fromt diff and see of there is a lot of metal in the fluid in a just a bit. The last time I changed that fluid about 14 months ago and there wasn't any metal then...
--
Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just turned the passenger side forwards, 45 degrees in one minute, twice in a row...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is good news it's that the diff oil is still clear and metal free. I guess the front diff is OK!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
did you check the fluid in the transfer case. thats where the VC is located.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did change the TC fluid about 2 months back. It was dark red, but still transparent after being in there for about 10000 miles. I use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, which meets DexIII and many other specs.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
i know this might sound funny. But is your power steering low?

When you turn the vehicle in a tight circle do the tires chip and squeal?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
holy crap. i had no idea that part cost that much!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts