RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Murdered Out said:
yeah thats what I was thinking, newton meter is a measurment of torque. I have an adjustable torque wrench, I'll see if google turns anything up. I emailed them but it may be a while.

If anyone knows the amount of torque each nut needs let me know. (Nothing perverted from anyone either, Gushy or Umberto)
I torque mine to between 100 -110 lbs.

Edwin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
M32 said:
Murdered Out said:
yeah thats what I was thinking, newton meter is a measurment of torque. I have an adjustable torque wrench, I'll see if google turns anything up. I emailed them but it may be a while.

If anyone knows the amount of torque each nut needs let me know. (Nothing perverted from anyone either, Gushy or Umberto)

Edwin
Thanks Edwin! you're an up and comming Uberto, maybe you'll take the reins when he retires next month. haha j/k UMberto

·
Registered
250 Posts
Murdered Out said:
M32 said:
[quote="Murdered Out":gi6dsiik]yeah thats what I was thinking, newton meter is a measurment of torque. I have an adjustable torque wrench, I'll see if google turns anything up. I emailed them but it may be a while.

Edwin
Thanks Edwin! you're an up and comming Uberto, maybe you'll take the reins when he retires next month. haha j/k UMberto[/quote:gi6dsiik]

MO,

Haha... I am no where near Umberto-status. He's the man :thumb: Can't wait to see pics of the sport!

Edwin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'am having NO luck finding someone to install these wheels since they are in two pieces! its so ridiculous, how difficult is it to turn some bolts? Everyone states that they dont want to b liable for damage... :evil: :evil: I have tried 3 of the 4 places that would be able to do such a thing. One last attempt tomorrow before I shlt a brick.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Murdered Out said:
I'am having NO luck finding someone to install these wheels since they are in two pieces! its so ridiculous, how difficult is it to turn some bolts? Everyone states that they dont want to b liable for damage... :evil: :evil: I have tried 3 of the 4 places that would be able to do such a thing. One last attempt tomorrow before I shlt a brick.
Whoa...Mo, when I gave you the torque specs, that was for the lug nuts. Sorry for misreading. I now understand what torque setting you're asking for on the bolts for the two peice rims. I don't konw about that...sorry man. There is a shop in houston that does this type of work. I'll ask them for you tomororw

Edwin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was told 115 for the center piece attachment nuts. I was actually told a minute on the phone no one will assemble them for liability... looks like I have to do them. I just find it hard to belive no one ever takes their multi-piece rims in to be painted in sections. Fu*King tucson, I hate this shlt hole.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Murdered Out said:
I was told 115 for the center piece attachment nuts. I was actually told a minute on the phone no one will assemble them for liability... looks like I have to do them. I just find it hard to belive no one ever takes their multi-piece rims in to be painted in sections. Fu*King tucson, I hate this shlt hole.
MO,

If you want to ship it to the shop I use in Houston, they will do it. They do it all the time. Let me know man

Edwin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
yeah already did, just trying to get them put together now...was hopping I wouldnt have to do it....

Edwin-

I'm not trying to pay shipping for those monster 24's. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm going to knock them out in my garage and then take them to be mounted. I have finals next week so it may be a while before I can do it now. Thats why
I'm pissed. I have been waiting all this time and now I have them teasing me in my garage... :evil:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
today I installed three of the ceter pieces on the rims. What a pain in the @ss. It took me nearly 4 hours to do three wheels. Each rim has 42 nuts and bolts that needed to be installed and torqued to 30lbs each. Not only that but it was difficult to get most of the bolts through the holes because of the paint, which made the diameter of the bolts slightly larger and the holes smaller. I WILL have them put on tomorrow (wed) for sure. In addition the speaker box project is wrapping up, I will update that in a few.

Does anyone know where I can buy the inner rear plastic pillars?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
For the future...

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

If I'm stating the obvious, sorry. But, be sure you torque them down in a crosswise pattern and not at full torque the first go around---you don't want to warp the wheel. Use a different colored crayon to mark each one as you torque it in stages. I would use blue loctite on the threads as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
MO,

if you search ebay.com, there are plenty of OEM rims for around $1000 that will be more functional then your wheels that are in two pieces.

;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
gushybear said:
MO,

if you search ebay.com, there are plenty of OEM rims for around $1000 that will be more functional then your wheels that are in two pieces.

;)
:?
(confused face)

you realize the guy has one of the best (in terms of quality) wheels on the market right? light years ahead of redborne, thats for sure!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
gushybear, :lol:

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
gooseyloosey said:
For the future...

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

If I'm stating the obvious, sorry. But, be sure you torque them down in a crosswise pattern and not at full torque the first go around---you don't want to warp the wheel. Use a different colored crayon to mark each one as you torque it in stages. I would use blue loctite on the threads as well.

They specifically stated to not use locktite, I called and asked them.
umbertob said:
gushybear, :lol:

MO, torquing 160+ bolts one by one does sound like a major pain. I only bought one set of 3-piece wheels in my life, and they came fully assembled. Granted, I didn't get them painted after purchasing them... But shouldn't the paint shop put them back together? And why would they paint male and female threads of the nuts/bolts? I am sure it made for a cheaper and quicker paint job, but it doesn't sound like something a professional custom shop would do.
They didnt paint the threads, the shaft is painted and the center piece of the wheel is also painted. The two pieces together make a SNUG fit. 6 places in town told me the same thing, liability. "we're not trained to assemble other peoples' wheel..."

I asked each one, "how hard is it to tighten bolts? as long as you follow the directions you cant go wrong. You can assemble brakes, even put wheels on cars but you cant tighten some nuts and bolts?"

anyway 160+ bolts later, and carpal tunnel for the first time in my life the wheels are done and I have an 11:30 PST apt to get mounted... (not like that)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Ouch...lots of stress on the wrist there...but they are turning out nice...will be interesting to see what they look like in the desert sun. How wide are the rims?

By the way, did you get a 5th spare tire as well in the same format because it sounds like if these rims get dented for any major potholes, you'll be driving on the donut for at least 8 weeks...

·
Registered
458 Posts
:?
(confused face)

you realize the guy has one of the best (in terms of quality) wheels on the market right? light years ahead of redborne, thats for sure!
lol. i do realize this. thanks for the tip. and also apparently that my wheels are roughly 6000000000000 miles behind his wheels... geez i guess i got some driving to do to catch up!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Dude these pictures suck, in person they look much better. I need to wash my shlt too, its been nearly three months! They look awesome in person, the super glossy black contrasts perfect against the flat black.

I'll take beter pictures tomorrow and get the whole perspective on them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
you'll have to see the entire thing. I'm telling you I think it looks like shlt in these pics. Just wait. plus everything is duuuurty

41 - 60 of 114 Posts