Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is certainly illegal and I am not saying I would do this, but here is a HYPOTHETICAL situation in which the changing of the VIN tag is done.

Let's say you are driving a servicable but very rusty and banged up truck that has another 14 months left on its current registration. Along comes a deal you cannot pass up. A rust free truck that has very low miles and is going super cheap because the engine has a major problem like a slipped liner. So you think that you could put another engine in this truck and have a very newish RRC for only a thou or so. You go thru the motions of putting in the engine from your current driver into this truck and it now runs perfectly and has no body rot and you are a happy camper. You don't want to go through the bother of getting it inspected and then spending the day at the DMV getting new plates, so you decide to take the VIN plate from old truck and put it on new truck. To do this you would only have to remove the plastic rivet from the left side A pillar covering and lift it off. You would then see the plate held on with two 3/16 pop rivets which you would dispatch with a sharp wood chisel. The VIN plate could then be replaced with the VIN plate from the other truck with two new 3/16th pop rivets. You would then replace the plastic cover on the A pillar and the new truck would then become the old truck along with its 14 months of registration, smog and no need to get inspection and wait all day at the DMV. This has not been done of course, and is again, strictly a hypothetical situation.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
I guess it all depends on where you are located. I have done a similar "work around" to license a grey market car I had several years ago. Since there is no annual inspection where I am at it worked flawlessly. When I sold the car I gave full disclosure to the buyer. Why don't you update you profile so some folks can give local input.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
The vin is in at least four places, one stamped onto structural metal, to stop criminal types doing this sort if thing with stolen cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim (Scotland) said:
The vin is in at least four places, one stamped onto structural metal, to stop criminal types doing this sort if thing with stolen cars.
Around here they look at the one in the windscreen. Period.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Your insurance would likely be invalid, hope you don't have an accident....

You're in the US aren't you?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Can't really comment. Rules differ from country to country.

Generally i have found that most things that are a bit dodgy are just not worth getting involved with. My 2c...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I'm glad this is all hypothetical.
Especially given that over here people have been prosecuted for ileagal acts they filmed and posted on YouTube.
Its very easy to find a person's identity from the things they post on the internet.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Tim,

what happened to the P38?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rufant said:
Tim,

what happened to the P38?
Severe head trauma(between the exhaust valve and the water jacket), three months in an awful garage, an expired mot and the lack of a trustworthy and knowledgeable local mechanic meant that selling it was the best option.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Severe head trauma(between the exhaust valve and the water jacket), three months in an awful garage, an expired mot and the lack of a trustworthy and knowledgeable local mechanic meant that selling it was the best option.
Man you really have some bad luck :(

Time to track down a well looked after CSK, should suit you down to the ground :wink:

Luckily Rudsey has already found you one

http://www.graemehunt.com/motor-cars/fo ... r-csk-auto

Try not to get distracted by the Bentleys, etc also for sale... :)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Rich998a said:
I get the impression Tim is looking at a Classic again...???? :think:
No, Tim isn't. Tim has a Polo for the next two months and is thinking of buying a temporary car before another Range Rover purchase.
That said, I think anyone who has owned a Classic wants another one.

rufant said:
Time to track down a well looked after CSK, should suit you down to the ground :wink:

Luckily Rudsey has already found you one

http://www.graemehunt.com/motor-cars/fo ... r-csk-auto

Try not to get distracted by the Bentleys, etc also for sale... :)
That dealer had a Classic a friend had owned. The dealer had it up at £18k about year after my friend had sold it for £6k.
Having a London showroom like that must have huge overheads.

I'd love a CSK but it would get pampered. The RR that I buy will see a bit of action and I don't have the space or the funds for two cars.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,605 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
Virginia or Washington, DC by the look of the IP addresses. I won't mention which large organisation (apart from the Verizon IPs)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
p38arover said:
Tim (Scotland) said:
Virginia or Washington, DC by the look of the IP addresses. I won't mention which large organisation (apart from the Verizon IPs)
I did some cross checking and got a name and street address.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That dealer had a Classic a friend had owned. The dealer had it up at £18k about year after my friend had sold it for £6k.
Having a London showroom like that must have huge overheads.
Yup. Those dealers must have had it tough the last year or so with not so much money sloshing around to buy well presented but relative ordinary motors. I would never buy from one, but i'm sort of glad they exist...

I think anyone who has owned a Classic wants another one
I would have thought the UK was happy hunting ground for any prospective RR purchasers at the moment. When you can get one of those awful Porsche Cayenne's over there for peanuts there must be a good selection of Rangies for next to nothing. Of course getting one that is not going to bankrupt you in running costs is the key. I would bide your time, looking is half the fun anyway. You'll know when the right one comes along.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
p38arover said:
Tim (Scotland) said:
Hey numbnuts, I'll save you the bother:

Bill Adams
4016 Spruell drive
Kensington, MD

I work at Voice of America, I'm Art Director of TV Graphics. My facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/William.T.Adams

Now send me some money

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
o2batsea said:

Bill Adams

Now send me some money
No need to get upset.
The general consensus was that the vin swap idea was inadvisable.
Should the issue ever be investigated, assuming the swap were to take place, then these comments could be traced back to you. Meaning you would be unable to use ignorance as a defence. Now if you don't like the DMV to the point that you won't go down there, I can only image how much of a nightmare they would be if there was doubt over your cars identity.
Not to mention the police, whom I'm sure are able to figure out the true identity of a car.
But none of us live near you so only you can make the decision.
Neither Ron nor I mentioned your details(did you know your age and details of your partner are listed on the white pages?).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tim (Scotland) said:
o2batsea said:

Bill Adams

Now send me some money
No need to get upset.
The general consensus was that the vin swap idea was inadvisable.
Should the issue ever be investigated, assuming the swap were to take place, then these comments could be traced back to you. Meaning you would be unable to use ignorance as a defence. Now if you don't like the DMV to the point that you won't go down there, I can only image how much of a nightmare they would be if there was doubt over your cars identity.
Not to mention the police, whom I'm sure are able to figure out the true identity of a car.
But none of us live near you so only you can make the decision.
Neither Ron nor I mentioned your details(did you know your age and details of your partner are listed on the white pages?).
Who's upset? VIN swaps are illegal here just as they are anywhere else. I wouldn't do it and I don't advise anyone else to do it.
p38rover or whoever appeared to be making some kind of inference that I was trying to hide my identity as if I was afraid the VIN Nazis would come and haul me off to jail, but because he's such a great Internet nerd he could find out what color socks I'm wearing just by tracking my IP address. F*cking a-hole dipsh*t. Nothing to hide here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts