RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 P38a Range Rover SALLPAMJ3TA318996

Manufacturer code: Land Rover
Model: Range Rover, second generation (38A model)
Wheel base: 108 inch
Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)
Engine type: 4.6 litre injected petrol
Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 3-, 4-, 5-, or 6-speed automatic
Model year: 1996
Assembly location: Solihull, UK
Serial number
SAL LP A M J 3 T A 318996

It was exported to japan and then imported into new Zealand in 2003

it was registered in New Zealand as a "Rover - Range Rover" as below..

Year: 1995
Make: ROVER
Model: RANGE ROVER
Colour: Red
Second Colour: Grey
Submodel: 4.6 HSE
Body Style: Station Wagon
VIN: SALLPAMJ3TA318996

Now The Registration levy system has just changed where the yearly registration fee changes according to the vehicles safety rating in Four broad bands...................... 1 being the worst - 4 the best a land rover P38 is band 3

Any vehicle for which there is no safety rating is defaulted to group 1 the worst safety rating and most expensive.
My Problem is....
there is a band 3 safety rating for a Land Rover - Range Rover P38
there is no safety rating for a Rover - Range Rover P38

I've been told I need to get written verification from land rover
that my vehicle is manufactured by Land Rover .... not Rover

Now we all know they are one in the same vehicle but try convincing the bureaucrats.

I've found this info... but appears to be over 10 years old
Is there an email address, and is this info still valid???
[h=3]Where to find more decisive information on my Land Rover?[/h]Send a written request with all details of your Land Rover to
Mr. E. Pagan, Senior Engineer, Traceability Systems
Lode Lane, Solihull, West Midlands B92 8NW, United Kingdom
t: +44 121 7004524 (direct line), f: +44 121 7009074

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Obviously there was an error when it was imported from Japan. Rover did not manufacture the Range Rover P38. Land Rover did. Rover car division and Land Rover division are two very different things. There are many ownership changes etc for Rover car division and the Land Rover division. Any of the wiki sites can give you the break down of ownership. Any of your original documentation will show Land Rover and the parent company and even your grill badge will show Land Rover. When you get down to it all of the other P38s in New Zealand should show as Land Rover, Range Rover.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously there was an error when it was imported from Japan. Rover did not manufacture the Range Rover P38. Land Rover did. Rover car division and Land Rover division are two very different things. There are many ownership changes etc for Rover car division and the Land Rover division. Any of the wiki sites can give you the break down of ownership. Any of your original documentation will show Land Rover and the parent company and even your grill badge will show Land Rover. When you get down to it all of the other P38s in New Zealand should show as Land Rover, Range Rover.
Yes it's badged Land Rover but from what i've been told it was registered "Rover" so they just carried that over to NZ Rego ..... I can understand why the Japanese got it wrong as the Vin tag next to the radiator boldly sez
"Rover Group Ltd"
I've now got to change my rego details to "land rover" yes the vin sez that but thats not good enough it seems
the want a letter from the manufactures confirming its a "Land Rover" not a "Rover" stupid sure
but looks like the only way forward.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The New Zealand Registration Authorities are Happy To Accept the VIN SALLPAMJ3TA318996
and also its Model designation RANGE ROVER its the vehicles make/marque that is the issue.

This may show you how the problem started ……
japan-partner.com/stocklist.html
and under MAKE enter LAND ROVER you will find RANGE ROVERS as expected, but repeat this process and enter make ROVER again you will find RANGE ROVERS, now do it again under make enter RANGE ROVERS you will find models listed HSE 4.6!!! these mistakes are all transcribed to the NZ Vehicle database.

The problem is, it seems to have been incorrectly 1st registered in Japan as a
ROVER (make/marque) and when imported into New Zealand in 2003 the
ROVER (make/marque) has been transcribed into the New Zealand Vehicle Registration Database, this mistake has never been a problem until now.

The Problem lies with our new ACC (Govt accident insurance scheme) who’s Premiums are incorporated into annual Registration fees, are based on the Vehicles Safety Tests/Ratings.
These are broadly grouped into 4 groups 1 to 4, due to data available for
LAND ROVER (make/marque) RANGE ROVER P38 (model) it is placed into group 3, the second highest rating.
When they look up test data for my vehicle …. ROVER (make/marque) RANGE ROVER (model) they cannot find any data and subsequently place the vehicle into group 1 by default (the worst rated group, and for me the most expensive).

The only way for me to address this is to change the registration details of the vehicle make from ROVER (make/marque) to LAND ROVER (make/marque).

This process requires me to get confirmation from the Manufacturer that the Vehicle
was Manufactured by LAND ROVER and is entitled to be registered as a
LAND ROVER (make, marque) RANGE ROVER (model) .

Maybe even that ROVER (marque) never made the RANGE ROVER would be helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts