RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My RR has no sticker with the VIN number.

Is the number on the chassis somewhere? (I know it is on a plate behind the winscreen).

Where?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
488 Posts
Right on the image posted by Gilbertd.
"The number is also stamped on the outside of the chassis in the front RH wheel arch to the rear of the anti-roll bar link"
I would never have know this!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Don't tell me, you're trying to put it on Portuguese plates and they needed to confirm the VIN?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes ...... they have noted the absence of the black VIN plate but just maybe would accept the number on the chassis ..... or not!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
When my mate first moved to France about 25 years ago, his wife took her 1968 Morris 1000 Convertible down there. She ran it on UK plates for about 3 years before the friendly local village Gendarme pointed out to her that she really should have put it on French plates after that length of time. I get a call one morning from my mate. He's at the registration office and they want to know where the chassis number is on a 1966 Morris 1000. There's a plate on the bulkhead but that is only held on with a couple of self tappers (so could easily be changed) and they want to check it against the number stamped in the body but can't find it. I phone BL Heritage and ask them to be told that there isn't one, the only number is the one on the plate. In the end it was the inspector that came up with the solution. Their rules insist that the number on the plate matches the number on the chassis or shell, so stamp a number into the shell. No chance of buying a set of alphanumeric punches in France so I tried to get them here. My local tool store wanted a fortune for a set but the guy said they don't stock cheap ones as they don't last. He seemed confused when I told him that we didn't even need a full set and they were only ever going to be used once! Set bought, sent over to France, number stamped in the bodyshell and French registration issued.

If they won't accept what you have and insist on a plate , try http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/land_rover_plates.html, type LRR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts