RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 Range Rover with the 4.4. It’s surging while cruising now, with a slight noise/vibration when it does it.
https://youtu.be/ndGfWWNUdio
I crawled under neath and found what looks like burn trans oil drip hanging from the trans. Going to service the trans and see if that helps. Other wise I hope it’s not a torque converter!

On a side note my range is burning a ton of fuel, not smoking but fuel consumption is massive, just did timing chain guides, with all new filters and plugs. No cel. Getting an average of 25 L/100k or 11 mpg. Thinking maybe injector? Or o2 sensor.
Tia

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
My 06 has started doing this recently at about the same RPMs on a level road, along with the decrease in fuel mileage. Two completely different engines, but I don't think mine is transmission related. You can check just by driving in sport mode, as that drops the lockout converter out. Mine is at 193K miles and I've been battling lean fuel mixtures (not enough to trip a CEL) for the past 8 or 10K miles. I think mine is injector related. I've got a new set sitting in the basement, just haven't found the time to swap them out.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
The LUC ‘controlled slip’ mode is still triggered when cruise control is activated. If the issue goes away above 56mph (i.e. the full engagement speed) then it probably is the LUC causing the issue.

Phil

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
309 Posts
I don't know how relevant this problem to L322, but on Discos and Sports this very symptom is a sign of clutches in the torque converter slipping.
Here's a video of similar problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhqow7E9T_Q, used posted in the comments that transmission flush with "transfusion machine" took care of it, YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rrphil, I just read that other thread that was posted where you posted some graphs. I see what your saying. I wonder if my snap on scanner will show me any info on the lock up clutch.
Ps that video posted is exactly the same. Sounds like I need a torque.
Phil, am I ok to just get a torque or should I look at trans replacement all together. I can pick up a used trans with 120k kms on it for 1000$ cad. All the others that Low are about double that. This wrecker has had it 300 days and says he will give a good deal to move old inventory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts