RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just had a brief report form the shop.

It's looking like bushes, bearing and brakes binding. Investigation ongoing.

But would that put the car into limp mode??

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Check that the brake pads holder on one of the calipers is not rubbing on disc. You should be able to see a groove or mark if it is. This caused a shimmy/vibration that you could "accelerate though" on one of my 2006 when the wheel bearing wasn't pressed in far enough (off by 1-1.5 mm).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check that the brake pads holder on one of the calipers is not rubbing on disc. You should be able to see a groove or mark if it is. This caused a shimmy/vibration that you could "accelerate though" on one of my 2006 when the wheel bearing wasn't pressed in far enough (off by 1-1.5 mm).
I nee to check this. Just got my 03 hse back from the shop with a laundry list. They said my rotors were warped. it would cost $1300 to fix.
Does anyone have an after market or place I can get a fresh set of rotors to install ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
302 Posts
Try Rockauto.com for L322 service parts (including brakes etc) at good value pricing.

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The vibrations I;m getting at 45-55 mph are quite violent. The car literally shakes and yes it can be driven through. So I can imagine it could be bearings, bushes or joints.
The bit I don't understand is the going into limp mode and not being able to change up to higher gears and the GB defaults back down to 2nd.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
it would be wise to replace the radiator as well as the cooler for the transmission

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Mrmerlin new rad and expansion tank fitted pre Christmas. I hear what [email protected] saying about the trans cooler box
Thanks again

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,100 Posts
I'm surprised no one (except right above) has mentioned that the First generation of L322s 02 to 05's have almost all had transmission coolers, and/or oil coolers that get plugged up with gunk on the coolant (radiator fluid) side, resulting in transmission overheating, if you skip on radiator fluid changes, or the mileage gets high enough. If you suspect the transmission is getting too hot, thats the first place to start looking. The cooler is a separate fluid cooled plate cooler mounted just above the oil filter behind (engine side) of the radiator.

You should be getting some kind of warning on the dash though about an overheat if it gets hot enough to throw you into limp mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi just going to pick the car up from the garage. It's had new calipers, pads and discs. The mech says it drives like a dream and might need new bushes next year. Also had air suspension recalibrated. It was down 10 mm on rear offside. Hopefully this is it now.
In the last year, its had a
Gearbox refurb
New cat and sensors,
New rad,
New battery,
New tyres all round,
New air suspension pump,
New expansion tank
All the above has cost around £3,500
The car has 104,500 miles on the clock and does less than 5,000 per year.

Thank you all that contributed it helps tremendously

21 - 29 of 29 Posts