RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RR L322 Mk 3 4.4 V8 2004

Hi folks, I'm looking to see if anyone can throw some light on this issue I have with my RR.
I'll try and be short and brief. The vehicle vibrates quite violently after driving it for about 8 miles and above speeds of 35 mph. I normally slow down put yesterday I drove through it and after 5 minutes it calmed down, but on the return journey it did it again.
This car does not go far it does about 4 miles a day with a journey of 14 miles once a week. yesterday journey was a 40 mile round trip. The puzzling thing is the car is fine until its done about 7/9 miles and then the vibration starts. It does not do this at low speed I.e. 30 mph which is normally does daily.
In the last year it has had gear box repairs including a new torque converter and clutches, a new air suspension pump. Although I noticed it is a little uneven sat on flat ground. It also seems a little higher on the front end to the rear end. I have had all wheels removed and balanced, because this Is the feeling I get when the vibration starts.
Any help on this would be appreciated. It is a conundrum.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
280 Posts
Is it like a juddering throughout the vehicle that goes away if you let off the accelerator a little?
Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob,

Thanks for replying. The vibrations only diminish when I reduce speed to 35 mph.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
280 Posts
Hard to diagnose anything with such a broad term as "...vibrations...." but I'd start with getting the oil level in the transfer box checked.

The box is chain driven with an oil pickup that scavenges oil to the shaft mounted/driven oil pump to provide internal lubrication.

If the transfer box oil level is low/empty you will begin to feel a pronounced judder throughout the vehicle around that speed.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob,
I'll run it in tomorrow. It had a new torque converter and clutches last year, so could be something to do with that.
Once again Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up an 03 hse range Rover. This is the first time I drive it more than a few miles because I don't know what's up with it yet. I got a vibration at around 45 mph it lasted a few seconds. Felt like it was in the center of the vehicle not the tires. It went away.
I also shifted it into manual and did NOT hear it at 45 ... So. I worry about everything.

After reading the forum there was a recall on the front differential for 03-06 and I'm wondering if it is that?
This post makes me wonder if it's just transfer case oil because I did see some leaks before driving it.

Previous owner also never changed the motor oil.

118k miles.

Thanks for this post let me know if this helped or how you solve it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
I thought it was the air suspension, because I had the self levelling warning come on, but I had that resolved, had all the front end checked for bushes, bearings and track rods etc. Also had all wheels balanced as it is similar to that kind of feeling.
I am coming down on the side of the transmission as this has been an on going saga since the gear box issue I had last year.
I'm going to call RR stealer today to check to see if it has been in for the recall on the front diff.
Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Afaik you can also call Landrover and they should be able to tell you if the work was done. So could be done at home by phone call, a look may not hurt though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you running OEM wheels? No spacers? Do you feel it through the steering? Does it change when you let off the gas?
It does change when I let off the gas. I'm not sure about the person that started the post. And I'm not trying to take over his question but I think we have the same problems

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi y'all,

Called the RR stealer today nothing outstanding on the vehicle regarding recalls.

I have original wheels on the vehicle. There have been no modifications. She is original in every way, just as she left the factory.

The car is now booked in with my gear box guy tomorrow for a look around. I'm going to run her so she is hot and the vibrations start so he can take her for a test run to let him feel it.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the plot thickens.

Just had the truck down to my gear box guy who drove it through the vibration and the thoughts were that it could be warped discs .
This is the first time in a year that the truck has done over more than 30+ miles in any trip and so on the way home from the garage the **** thing started to rev a 3000 rpm and was stuck in 2nd gear. I know this because I went into manual to move the gears up to top and it kept defaulting to 2nd.
It seems as though the box gets overheated and stops functioning properly. it did this last year and that's why I had a gearbox overhaul. I can only assume the torque converter has gone, and whether this is responsible for the vibrations between 45/55 mph, but as I am a layman I have no idea.

It is booked in form next Monday to be looked and to be resolved.

I will repost when I know more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good morning all,
I was reviewing this issue I posted last night and just thought I would clarify what is happening to the vehicle in the hope that a knowledgeable soul can throw some light on it.

So when the car is cold she drives fine, I get approx. 8 - 10 miles into a journey and get vibrations at speeds of 45 -55 MPH. And it does feel like wheel imbalances, but quite severe, these vibrations can be driven through and she ceases vibrating, then at 30+ miles into the journey she defaults in to 2nd gear. I can only drive in 1st and 2nd gear. Reverse is not a problem.

Perhaps it is warped brake discs and a transmission issue and both need to be sorted.

She is booked into the shop on Monday, but at the moment it is a head scratcher

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all
I had a similar thing happen to me a while ago which turned out to be the parking brake shoes making contact with the drum. It only required cleaning and adjusting again. If you stop the car after the vibrations start and walk to the rear end you should notice an obvious brakes overheating smell.
Hope it turns out something that simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the tips. I have noticed a smell occasionally and sometimes a squeak which goes away. I've just had the fronts checked and had copper resin applied, but not the rears.

I've not been out in it today, I took the Mitsi out instead.

I'm going to ask the guys at the shop to do a full check on all the possible issues so please keep them coming. Once all possible problems have been checked I'm going to ask them to thrash it for a couple of days, use it to commute in etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all,

I've been out in the RR today. I only did 4 miles. The GB is working ok and no issues with vibrations, only squeals from the brakes when applied.
Going on the problems of the last few days and some research, I'm thinking trans cooler box might not be colloing the oil down in the GB.
But would this cause the violent vibrations??? I had a new rad fitted 3 months ago.
Hoping knowledable pees will help out here.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apologies for the typos in previous message.

Unashamedly bumping

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned cv axles, ball joints or tie rods... Jack it up, grab the wheel and shake it around, watch to see what moves. I suspect CV or ball joints. Extremely common place for cars to generate vibration

1 - 20 of 29 Posts