RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Braintrust,

Over the weekend while driving on the highway, I began to feel a vibration which proceeded to get worse as time passed. I thought I had a flat (no tire pressure alert on the dash). Once pulled over, I detected a fairly strong burning odor/smell. Tires were fine. I popped the hood and nothing noticeable. I looked underneath and could see a fairly rapid fluid leak at about the middle of the undercarriage. I decided to try and drive to the dealership which I did without an issue - no vibrating, but I did drive it easy and no faster that 45MPH. Today, the dealership called and said nothing was wrong - despite fluid leaking when I arrived there on Saturday. No faults were detected (and I told them no faults/lights were illuminated when this happened). They also said "all fluids levels are fine".

I am not imaging what happened and have never experienced anything like that with the two RRSs I have owned.

Any thoughts? I am really hesitant to take the care back if they say nothing is wrong, while clearly something is amiss.

Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Need to know what the fluid was, or at least what color. Could be a bad shaft seal and transmission fluid leaking out. Or it could be water from the a/c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
If transmission fluid is leaking... do you think dealership removed bottom armor plates, measured level of transmission fluid and telling you it is OK? I'd out that, middle of the chassis, is where transmission and transfer case is, both containing oil, a little bit in transfer case and a lot in tranny. If you had a visually noticeable leak, how can they say it is fine, nothing is wrong? I don't understand. But yeah, I agree with ddm2k, you should've sampled the leaking fluid, after standing for some time and seeing it leaking, move forward 10ft and dip a white rag or tissue in what was dripping. smell, viscosity and color could give some idea. Your AC condensation would be dripping somewhere in the middle as well (if you had that ON), closer to the front though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Could be emergency brake sticking, I had that happen on highway all your systems expect for fluid leaking

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looping back around on this. Thanks for the feedback and input. The AC condensation got me thinking...I did have the AC on and the fact that zero fluid leaks were found, I believe that it what it was (should have looked more closely). They had the rig for thee and could not find any faults and could not replicate the problem - they did adjust the emergency brake shoes, but that is all they could do. Only charged me for an hour of labor, so I am feeling OK about this...gonna chalk it up to the emergency brake. Thanks again for everyone's insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts