RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an odd one here folks, the Rover (95 4.0) has developed a vibration in the drive line at 30 mph and 65-70 mph. At a steady cruise you can feel it almost like a tyre balance issue but if I accelerate a little it goes away. In other words, it doesn't do it when the car is under load. I have checked the propshaft u-joints and all seems fine, no slop in the ball joints or tie rod ends and no signs of anything else in the drive train. I did recently swap to 18" rims but the vibration has appeared quite some time and mileage after the fitting.
Thanks in advance,

Chris.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Chris,I have noticed over the years that some prop shafts have a little plate attached to the shaft,and have been told this is to balance the propshaft.
On and aged vehicle it can come off and this could be the cause of your problem.
It is only a small plate approx 40mmx20mm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked those Paul and all were ok but just a quick update, when I checked the propshaft u-joints I had the car in park. I retested them with car in neutral and found the culprit, the front prop front u-joint has some mighty slop. I am thinking that being in park was fooling me by applying some loading to the drive train so a quick tip is to test everything with system in neutral.

Chris.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Have you tried rotating tyres....
Vibration can be caused by many little nigly things.

You mentioned that the UJs are fine, depending when they were last replaced its possible the balancing has gone out
and regular greasing of UJs is important, UJs can wear a spot within the cap and even when removed for smoothness can
cause a vibrartion.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
viperover said:
Have you tried rotating tyres....
Vibration can be caused by many little nigly things.

You mentioned that the UJs are fine, depending when they were last replaced its possible the balancing has gone out
and regular greasing of UJs is important, UJs can wear a spot within the cap and even when removed for smoothness can
cause a vibrartion.
he found a bad u joint today. front joint on the front shaft had a lot of slop in it.

martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
Too bad it was more expensive than what I usually experience. Just a bit low in one tire will cause the same thing. Surprising how sensitive it is to airpressure.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
i'd rather replace a u joint than a transfer case, all suspension bushings, cv joint, and so on,... :lol:
its a $20 fix, which is as near to free as these things normally get IMHO. :thumb:

martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts