RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Forum

My 2000 RR got a nasty case of (sort of) intense vibrations. They begin and end quickly around 35-40 mph...come and go again around 48-50 mph..Then real smooth up until like 68mph. From here it is pretty intense up until about 75 or 80 and then its smooth with very minimal vibration just a bit of rattle but nothing in the steering wheel or pedals. As it is vibrating, if I release the throttle entirely, the vibes almost go away entirely. As soon as I touch the throttle the vibes are back.

Where can I begin to look to diagnose this? Should I start with a simple tire balance? I know for sure my left front wheel bearing needs replacing. But other than that I have no clue where to start. I have noticed my steering dampener strut is leaking too.

Thank you for all your feedback on this issue. I'm hoping this is not a transmission issue. I've thrown zero codes other than an OBDII sensor issue. Everything else is good. Just had a new expansion tank, tensioner, pullies, belt done. Had a power steering leak but that got fixed with snake oil now she stays tip top.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If it goes away when the power is taken off, that would suggest something beyond the transmission. Likely propshaft UJ or diff. Just noticed you've got a lift, maybe the propshafts are too far out of alignment to run smoothly?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the issue came about only recently. I did the lift about 3 years ago. Vibrations started after an offroad session about 6 months ago if that.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
UJs or diff then. You can check to see which end by running for a short time with one propshaft removed (don't leave it like that for any length of time or you'll be changing the viscous coupling next). When the rear prop is removed, make sure you put the nuts back on the studs or the handbrake drum will make a bid for freedom from under the car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a quote for getting all 4 UJ's done and all in it'd be $231 USD. That seems pretty fair so I may just do that and then do the diff fluids myself.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
If it started after offroading, make sure the inside of the rims is clean, no stuck on mud or such. And change the bad bearing, as it gets worse it is likely to cause vibrations. If there is obvious play in a UJ, you should be able to feel it when wiggling the propshaft. Better to find the cause first, instead of just replacing parts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotchya. I'll double check rims. I'll also give propshafts a jiggle to see how they feel. I'm going to have the font/rear diff fluids changed just because they've never been done so I HAVE to do that either way.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Unless the propshaft UJs are completely shot with bits of roller bearing hanging out all over the place, you won't feel any slack without disconnecting them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
your unis can look and feel perfect until you remove the end caps and see the penning inside (little divots around the shaft) this usually comes with a very slight low droning sound similarly to having the window open just a little
did you grease them when you looked at them as that may change the vibs

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So an update.

I got my diff fluid changed on the rear diff. It actually got rid of mostly all the vibrations except for the tiny vibration around 30-33 mph and then between 60-65 mph. Those are still there but no where near as bad as they were. The truck runs so much smoother now it's wild. For the remaining vibes..I think I'm going to get a tire balance for free where I bought my KO2's, and if that doesn't help, maybe I'll do the front diff fluid as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i doubt changing the diff oil would fix a vibration unless it had none or he tightened up the pinion nut? or most likely greased your universals , go ask as you might need new universals

·
Registered
67 Posts
As an old Landrover hand going back 27 vehicles and 42 years, something I have seen happen in the past. Do either of your prop shafts have rubber gaiters over the slip joints? If so, undo the clips, slide them back and clean out the grease.

What can happen, if you have a nicely greased sliding joint, which, on the road, hardly ever has any movement, under heavy axle articulation, can force the grease out and into the gaiter. Off road, and going slowly, this ends up as a big glob in one part of the gaiter and then when on the road, causes balance problems and hence vibration.

By the way, when reinstalling the gaiter, make sure you position the jubilee clips at 180 degrees to ensure that they don’t cause vibration either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts