RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has any ideas about a problem that 's recently developed.

At about 30 -45mph in 3rd gear and not acellerating (easing of the gas to not get flashed by the many lovely speed cameras in the uk) i get a humming/vibration from underneath the car. As soon as i hit the gas again it goes away.and doesn't come back unless i ease of the gas again but at around 75-85mph.

Have recently fitted 4 new goodyear tyres with 4 wheel tracking & balancing but problem persists.
i spoke to my mechanic & he felt it was a boom from the air filter /intake system so I replaced it and still no joy.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What year and mileage have you on the clock, are you petrol or diesel.

Stewart.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe i had the same problem as yours a while back.
Does it appear to be coming from the underside of the vehicle near the drivers side???

My problem was with the exhaust pipe which runs under the drivers seat. The rubber mount which harneses the exhaust was bottoming out. Pretty hard to explain without actually showing you what i mean.... To see what i mean, i would select off-road mode, then look underneath the vehicle for the rubber mount. You'll see that the mount has two inner pieces which act as spacers/shock absorbers. When the exhaust moves around these spacers allow some travel in the exhaust pipe dampening the the movement of the pipe.

I simply modified the rubber mount and my vibration went away and has never returned. Might sound silly but i would start there as it drove me mad. My local dealer typically couldn't find or replicate the sound...

My vibration was more prominent when the exhaust system was cold and as the temperature of the system increased the exhaust would expand increasing the gap between the rubber mount, meaning the vibration would go away.

I hope this might give you somewhere to start looking.... Good luck!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes bad luck turns in to good luck?

Saw a screw sticking out of the in the brand new Good year tyre on the back wheel of my car, so I swapped the wheel for the spare & guess what? the humming/ vibration seems to have gone. Tyre shop says the wheel i took off is slightly buckled but balanced ok, but what gets me is that the vibration was only noticeable at between 30 - 40 mph?.
never mind .
thanks for your replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts