RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have been using the site for years, but just became a member now. I have had a 1998 4.0 Range rover for about 4 years now.
Anyways, my issue is I just replaced my stock tires with some Hercules Tires - Terra Trac A/W 265/75/R16.
I had them mounted on the stock rims but when I took them for a drive on the highway, my steering wheel began to shake violently at over 80km/h and my engine temperature kept rising until I slowed down to lower speeds.
I've read that if the wheels aren't balanced properly the steering wheel will vibrate, but the engine temperature rising is very discomforting.
If anyone has any information, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think you have two unrelated issues. The tires are either not balanced properly or the steering system is worn out. Possibly the tie rod ends are worn out or the damper. Could be several different things. As far as the engine temp rising, i think it is just a coincidence. Does the gauge go down when you slow down? If it does i think it may be a gauge problem. There is no way the temperature would drop as fast as it rises unless you drop a bucket of ice water on it.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
They're definitely unrelated events. If it didn't shake before the tire swap, it's obviously due to the swap. Either they're not balanced correctly or the pressures are off. Most people run 28psi front and 38psi back. I would bet the farm they loaded all 4 up to 45 psi.

Also check your lugs, since they most likely used a air gun to put them on, and not a torque wrench like they should.

And... like said above, you could definitely have some other steering system issues. Steering stabilizer, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc... give them a once over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, and you were right they were unrelated and coincidental incidents.
I realized the next day that the engine coolant was low, so I poured some and that fixed the temperature
As for the vibrating, I just had the shop do a wheel alignment and rebalance the wheels again, and everything seems far so far

·
Registered
533 Posts
With regards to the 28 / 38 psi tire difference mentioned, it is necessary for proper operation of the vicous coupler delegating traction between the front and rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
ikoinu said:
With regards to the 28 / 38 psi tire difference mentioned, it is necessary for proper operation of the vicous coupler delegating traction between the front and rear wheels.

It's been mentioned before, but geometry-wise it shouldn't matter. The circumferance of a tire doesn't change relative to the air pressure, unless it's WAY overfilled and it balloons out in the middle. It just spreads out like a tank tread. At least...that's my theory anyway.

I will say this though... mine has a shake if it's not within +/- 2psi of 28/38... so I might be completely full of sh*t after all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I experienced shaking at highway speeds last year. It was especially prevalent when I hit a bump. It turns out that I had a broken sway bar. After replacing that I have not experienced the vibration since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts