RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed this last night as my wife and I were driving home. The sound seems to come from under the hood but I can't really pinpoint the location.

It sounds like a piece of plastic is being knocked up against a sheet metal part of some sort by a spinning part. There is no real rhythm or cadence to the rattling sound but it doesn't get louder or more pronounced if I rev the engine. It just seems to occur when I am slowing down and then it fades in and out (again with no real pattern) when I'm stopped at a light and it's loud enough to be obvious. This is on a 2010 Sport SC and I didn't find anything in the search field that matched my symptoms.

I know it's not the fan clutch because that was replaced twice so I now what it sounds like. I'm pretty sure it's not engine knock because it has no steady cadence and it's not consistent. so I'm a little baffled by what it could be. I ran a scan and this is all that came up... No real red flags here as far as I can see. Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this?

ABS-Brake Module

• U0126-00 (A8) Lost communication with steering angle sensor module
    ( on 31-08-2016 22:26:05 at 91320 km )
BCM-Body Control

• C1A57-14 (6C) Front left initiator - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground or open
    ( on 13-08-2016 16:14:07 at 90778 km )
HCMB-Headlamp

• U0415-00 (28) Invalid data received from ABS control module
    ( on 17-08-2016 18:04:14 at 90807 km )
HVAC-Ventilation

• U0422-86 (2F) Invalid data received from the body control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
    ( on 13-08-2016 12:53:54 at 90778 km )
  • U3000-55 (2F) Control module - System programming failure - is not configured
    ( on 13-08-2016 12:53:54 at 90778 km )
IPC-Instrument Pack

• B1A85-96 (28) Ambient light sensor circuit - Component failure - internal failure
    ( on 13-08-2016 21:41:23 at 90789 km )
PDM-Passenger Door

• B110B-11 (6C) Rear door passenger side central locking motor - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground
    ( on 18-08-2016 21:15:25 at 90883 km )

·
Registered
345 Posts
Are you sure a Fan blade is not knocking against the shroud ? Another possibility is alternator bearing or idle pulley - what does condition of poly belt look like ? Time to get mechanics stethoscope out and have someone rev it with hood open while you (carefully) listen for source of noise ...but given it does it stationary should make it easier to locate ...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Not sure if the year matters but my06 is all plastic fan, shroud and most of the radiator.
My first question to self is what changed or what was the last thing I did to the truck? Sounds like something may be loose and coming down off high revs causes just the right vibration. That tinny sound may be an exhaust pipe or cat. I took a video (that I can't upload) of me tapping the cat with a crowbar and it sounds very similar.

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MI2VA,

I am thinking the same thing. I don't see how it can be engine related because there is no cadence to the sound like you would hear if there was valve knock or a loose belt. It also stops if I rev up and makes that pinging tinny sound on the spool down so from my chair it seems to be exhaust related. Some people have said a loose heat shield or cat. I tend to agree and HOPE it's that and not some crazy internal doodad buried somewhere in the engine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Roveryguy,

Thanks for chiming in. No I don't get a double knock, just the sound of the engine dying as it makes its last few turnovers. I went under the car and knocked the cat and the muffler and it made the exact same rattling noise and then I noticed the dent in the right cat and it all made sense. Part of the element must have broken off and now it's rattling around. The muffler is making the same noise so I assume the debris has made its way into the muffler as well. I don't thinks it's critical to replace it NOW NOW NOW but I'll definitely be doing it sooner than later. Would you agree?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts