RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im out in the field at the moment and having problems starting my 4.6 1996 when its hot. If I let it stand and cool down for a couple of hours then it starts and runs, idle , or 70 mph with no problems. If I do manage to start it when its hot it sputters and misses and backfires a bit and if im lucky and can get moving a bit and the revs up its ok after that as long as i dont turn it off. Any suggestion or quick fixes would be greatly appreciated.. thankyou

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Almost sounds like it's got a leaky injector. Once you shut it off the leaky injector would be dripping gas into the cylinder and flooding it. Once you get that bit burned off it runs as normal. Just a shot in the dark...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I believe the fuel rail temp sensor is a dry-well so just spin the old one out BUT don't go replacing without diagnosis. A Rovacom will read all the values, if it's outragous, then change it. A good OBDII rig may read the sensor values.

It could also be bad MAF, intake air temp sensor, O2 sensor, HT leads, plugs, coil pack, idle stepper motor, pinched sensor wire..............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts