RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I own an MKIII for 6 years now, and having put 250k kilometers on it I can honnestly say it's a very reliable car. It has never let me down, I'm still running my first gear box and first front axle and she still drives like heaven.

That being said, I'm going to check out a '94 P38a 4.6 tomorrow. This car will be used to tow a trailer, and some dirty jobs I don't want the MKIII to have to do. The car I'm going to look at has 225k kilometers (that's about 140k miles) and is running on LPG (liquid petrolium gas). Am I looking at a lot of trouble buying this car? I know the air suspension is on the bump stops, but I just read 2 hours on this forum and the EAS shouldn't be the biggest problem to fix. I'm more concerned about the engine, as it's a very early GEMS car, and she's running on LPG...

What do you guys think? Do or don't?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have close to 140 k on my 1995 4.0 with very few issues in the last eight years. Long may she continue 8)

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
well mines a 94 build, with most parts showing dates of march-august 94 build - and a feb 95 build plate..

BECM - doesn't have a EKA - battery went flat - superlocked - factory key never worked - couldn't unlock car, couldn't unlock BECM came up as some early version they hadn't seen before, even after the solder the wires on to access the chip trick was tried - in the end new becm and remote fob.

Engine - top end rebuilt by previous user at 80k's been fine but overheats regularly - not to the point of warning lights - might just be my climate - put in a rodded radiator every 25k's. Had block tested for handness and never had the heads off, uses water and oil, enough to worry me, not enough to open it up - car simply isn't worth it.

Transmission blew up - literally, at 155k's. I do know for 30k's of its life before I got it (at 115K's) it was a horse vet's car so I guess it towed allot of floats.

Brittle crappy build interior bits, I don't know how long its been parked outdoors, but I have always garaged it the past 6 years, the dash is warped and split and cracked, the speedo cluster is held in by cable ties as all the plastic in that area is just brittle and snaps, all the trim in the rear on the upper tailgate just crumbles and rattles and carries on, both front door skins are just a pain and breaking up. Not having these issues with my much more abused 94 classic.

Electrics - underbonnet fuse box - although at that many k's I would say its been replaced / seat workings and air conditioner issues etc etc etc - stereo's probably stuffed - mine went three times under warranty and the 3rd time I told them not to bother and put in an after market. Fuel pump should have been replaced as well. Theres one or two wiring looms in my car which dont match that in rave and I have spent a bit of time chasing gremlins because colour codes dont match etc, but not on everything.

Sunroof - the mechs go with age and weather abuse.

LPG - well if its setup correctly and not too lean it should if anything prolong the life of the engine. Then again I would say at least half the LPG installs I have seen on second hand cars are not running well at all.....

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to see the car yesterday. It was a disaster. Not nearly as good as the car described by the owner.

Where do I start?

*Transmission didn't seem to work... It didn't do any thing when in D. Just in 1st gear it would drive, but only after a huge ''clonck''.
*The tailgate didn't open at all.
*SRS warning light on the dash.
*Aircon not working
*Air suspension did not work, but I knew that. He told me before I went to see the car. (He should've told all the rest too, though)
*Loads of rust, the interior was very worn, electric mirrors didn't work...
*Loads of bumps and scratches

Basicly the only good thing about the car seems to be the engine. It runs perfect, both on petrol and on LPG and it didn't overheat at all after half an hour in the blank sun running idle...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Walk away man. Sure it's fixable, but you add "loads of rust" to the equation and IMHO I wouldn't bother and keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Tell him he's dreamin.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries, I won't buy this car. I'll keep looking, but I don't want a 2.5DSE and it's hard to find petrol cars on LPG over here...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts