RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to develop my own Venturecam.

It took a while to figure out the frequencies and protocols that the vehicle uses but, this done, I was able to come up with a Bluetooth audio and video transmitter. I then sourced a suitable off-the-shelf dash camera and integrated it with the transmitter and VOILA, I now have a great video camera which I can point in any direction I want and watch the video on the car screen. The dash comes with its own mini Digital Video Recorder so I can record the vehicle surroundings to review later. By plugging it into the cigar lighter and using a large memory card, I can record about 10 hours of video which I can play back on the car screen. The camera has IR LEDS and can record in darkness also. In essence I have a car surveillance camera as well as a Venturecam.
I also made a smaller version with a built in battery in a smaller, tubular form with regular LEDs without a recorder. This can also be mounted anywhere inside or outside the vehicle and additionally, it works well as an inspection camera as it can look into the crevices and difficult access areas; again, both inside and outside the vehicle.
Using the transmitter, I also made a few more cameras and mounted them on different mounts (screw, magnetic and suction) and powered them with ordinary power banks and placed them inside and outside my house. I am now able to see my house as I approach it. Range is limited because it is a Bluetooth device but I do get between 30 to 100 feet.
The next step is to integrate these wireless mini cameras with a small, portable DVR with multiple channel recording capability and use the package as a security device for my car and its surroundings. The car cameras will provide a 360-degree view to the DVR which would have 10-12 hours recording capability. This system could be used on any vehicle; not just the Range Rover.

Venture Cam 5.jpg Venture Cam 2.jpg Venture Cam 4.jpg Venture Cam 3.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cliff, not sure if there is any reasonable market for Venturecams specifically for RRs. It cost me roughly 150 dollars per camera.... .... don't mind putting together a few for like minded enthusiasts.
I have finally located a small mobile DVR and i am going to integrate it with the cameras. I think that should have a better market... a totally wireless, discreet recording and playback facility of long duration to give visibility to a vehicle's surroundings, day or night. Can be used in the home, office or any other location also.
BTW, found out that the vehicle will support up to 16 venturecams. this seems to be a real overkill.
Another thing; vehicle speed does not lock out the video feed ... unlike the TV option.
Makes a good rear view device especially if one puts a couple on any towed trailer; works great for rear visibility.
Of course, if you need to check on the contents of the towed unit, that works too.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
display.jpg

Found a nice 5" wireless screen with built in Recorder. Now I can see the camera video remotely. Using it as a neighborhood watch device with the car parked out in the driveway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts