RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We have just joined the forum as sponsors and look forward to building a great reputation here for our products & customer service. VelocityAP has been around since 2007, gaining a foothold in the Aston Martin world (we are an OEM supplier to Aston Martin Racing) and branching out into Jaguar, McLaren & many more.

We are also sponsors of one of the sister boards to rangerovers.net and have a couple of threads running on our tuning for the FType & XE here:
VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xe-x760-85/velocityap-jaguar-xe-x760-ecu-tuning-3-0l-v6-sc-2-0l-petrol-gasoline-turbo-2-0l-t-175327/

If you have a quick browse of the F-Type thread you'll see that we have some great software developed for the 3.0L Supercharged V6 and V8 already. The net results are:
3.0L ECU Tuning: 340-420+BHP
3.0L ECU Tuning + Supercharger Overdrive Pulley: 340BHP-453BHP

5.0L ECU Tuning: 495/550BHP - 605BHP
5.0L ECU Tuning + Supercharger Overdrive Pulley: 495/550BHP - 630BHP

These gains are directly transferable to the Range Rovers, sharing the same engine platform. We have already done lots of Range Rover Tuning, including the new SVR's.

How is the software installed?
VelocityAP sends you a VTech hand-held touch screen programmer, which is included with the cost of the tune. This programmer pairs to the vehicle and allows you to read the OEM file, email to us for modification, and flash the MOD file back onto the car.

Who writes the files and what support is provided?
Our dedicated, in-house software engineer is an Aston Martin + Jaguar/Land Rover factory trained technician. Each file is individually written to the customer's specification and can to some degree be customized to suit individual preferences. Our sales team & software engineer provide phone & web support and go to great lengths to make sure they are available to answer questions and provide assistance where required.

Can I switch back to the original file?
Yes, the VTech ALWAYS stores your original file + up to 5 modified files. So you can use the device to switch between original & modified files at any time.

In addition to more BHP and torque, what other things can be changed?
- RPM Limit Adjustment
- Auto Stop/Start Deactivation
- Sport Cat Integration
- Throttle Sensitivity
- Speed Limiter Adjustment

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,545 Posts
I understand a tune uses a handheld programmer. How is the pulley swap done? I watched it done on mine and it involves more than pulling it off and pushing it on?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I understand a tune uses a handheld programmer. How is the pulley swap done? I watched it done on mine and it involves more than pulling it off and pushing it on?
Same here. Had higly qualified mechanic working on changing out my pulley as part of a tune and it wasn't just a simple swap as vett indicated. I am sure there are plenty of you on this forum that can do it but it is definitely more involved than it sounds. Has anyone heard from the guy?

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the enthusiastic replies. Will try to answer all the questions here, and we will get our tuner who is a factory trained Jag/Land Rover technician on here to so you can ask him all the stuff that's over my head :)

Warranty/Detectability: Is doing this going to blanket void your warranty? Not at all. You can reasonably expect to drive into your local Jag/Land Rover dealer with an upper and lower pulley, tune, water/meth injection and a set of 22" Gold Spinners ( ;) LOL sorry, couldn't resist!) and tell them your window regulator has failed, and to have that replaced under warranty. There are always those who will say 'your warranty is toast' if you do this, but that just isn't the case.

When it comes to related components, in this case specifically drivetrain & engine stuff, you're getting into a grey area and the real, no BS answer is that you need to be comfortable with some level of risk. However, this 5.0L Supercharged engine is already producing 575BHP in the FType SVR & Project 7. 100% identical engine, no physical changes, just software. So if you have a 510BHP Rover, just switching over to the factory settings for the SVR FType will get you to 575BHP.

So the long & the short here is that these engines are already putting out much higher BHP in factory trim, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 600BHP special edition in this life cycle before the next gen engine comes out. What we do is largely to unlock power that is left on the table by the factory, with some minor adjustments to allow for increased boost as well as some timing and fuel adjustments. As you can see from our dyno charts on our FType tuning, we still run a nice safe 11.5:1 Air Fuel, and we do not disable or alter any of the safety features such as catalyst over-temperature fuel enrichment maps. If you fill up with 87 and the engine picks up knock, the factory detection remains intact and it will pull timing.

Detect-ability: Our programmers always store the factory/OEM map on them at all times. So once you have tuned your vehicle you can flash back to stock any time, in just 3-4 minutes. In fact, for a variety of reasons including dealer software updates and the way the programmer pairs to the vehicle, we include in our instructions to always flash back to stock prior to a dealer visit.

That being said, one should always enter into something like this with the assumption that if push comes to shove, that there is some level of detectability. For example, when you flash your ECU, it activates the flash counter and when a dealer hooks up to the communication system their flash counter will not match what is stored on the PCM. Now, this could have been from any non-dealer diagnostic tool communicating with the ECU, not just a tune, so it is not clear cut.

This isn't the standard tuning industry response. There are a couple of tuning companies out there in particular who 'guarantee' that their tunes are undetectable by a dealer and this is just outright deception. We try to give a balanced perspective and give you a true assessment so you can decide for yourself, and hope as we have on other boards like the Jaguar forums, to build the trust and support of the community by being truthful.

Eco Stop/Start: We don't disable the Eco Stop Start completely, it is challenging to completely remove code from the ECU. However, we are able to change the parameters which the feature requires in order to complete such that they will never occur. So when you start the vehicle, the button will be illuminated, but unless the engine RPM = 1, the engine will never stop.

Pulleys: We offer 2 different types. The Supercharger pulley increases boost by about 1.5psi. It is $195, and around a 4-5 hour install. It is not easy to reverse. We also offer a crank pulley, which is $1095, includes a new belt and idler pulley. This increases boost by 4psi, and is about a 1.5-2 hour install, and completely reversible. Tune + SC Pulley = around 620BHP. Tune + Crank Pulley = close to 650BHP. You can fit both, we have done this to a few rovers for some crazy guys over in the Middle East, but this does push the output to the point of running into some occasional heat issues.

Programmer: The touch screen programmer is included with the tune, you use this to read the ECU, email us the file and then reverse the process to install a modified file. You can flash back to stock any time, and you can store multiple MOD files in case you upgrade to a pulley later on.

Introductory Pricing:
Tune:
http://www.velocityap.com/product-p/vel-rangerover5.0ecu.htm -
Enter Coupon Code RRTUNELAUNCH at checkout for a 30% discount until March 3rd.

Crank Pulley:
http://www.velocityap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VEL-JAGFTYPECP
Already on launch special 25% discount, code is JAGCPLAUNCH and valid until March 1st

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here. Had higly qualified mechanic working on changing out my pulley as part of a tune and it wasn't just a simple swap as vett indicated. I am sure there are plenty of you on this forum that can do it but it is definitely more involved than it sounds. Has anyone heard from the guy?
The Supercharger pulley is difficult. The Crank Pulley is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used these types of tunes in my C7, and in the Miata RF I picked up at the end of last year. Some of the best features of these tuners is to help get rid of the drive by wire hesitation. Unlike BMW there are not coders (which can program the car for features not turned on for the U.S. market) for Range Rovers so a handheld like this is a good tool. I am not really interested in more power (I have plenty of cars that go fast), but I may buy one just to turn of that annoying start/stop feature. As far as can the dealer see what you did, yup they can. Every car I own has been modified and no (with the exception of my 997 which I took completely apart)dealer has ever denied me warranty. I would say it depends on your dealer and your relationship with the dealer. I always make a habit of getting to know the service department and have often had lunch brought in for the entire service staff. This winter has been so mild (today in mid 60's might hit 70 by mid next week), I have already put the RRS back into storage, I have my dogs Grand Cherokee if it does happen to snow again. One more thing these tablet programmers are incredibly easy to use, but I would just make one point always flash back to stock before taking the car in for service. many times they will do updates to your car without telling you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did panic about dealer detection when first got my car tuned. A little different view then MrBreeze. Unless the dealer is specifically checking for a tune or changing some "engine" programing, they really will never know. I have had regular service and software updates and recalls etc all done and they cannot tell and it does not impact the tune. And they are certainly not looking for it. They don't care. They just want your business. Doesn't mean it won't come up one day but unless you have a direct engine issue the likelihood of detection is rather small (I am sure I just jinxed myself now).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Any before and after dyno sheets? What about real world measures (such as 0-62, 1/4 mile etc)? Thanks for not making outlandish claims like "tune and pulley will make you smoke all 4 tyres" lol.

I think the same results can be achieved by most tuners and those of you who want more power should jump on this opportunity, the results are amazing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
0-60 and 1/4mile figures would be awesome.

If a dealer were to install a software update (when the tuned flash has been uninstalled), will there be a problem reinstalling the flash?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi thanks for all the great info. Just a couple of questions:

1) The website is specifically looking at the F-Type V6S for the ECU flash. I know it's the same engine as the l494 V6S, but since the vehicles themselves are different would the ECU tune behave differently? Just curious as I don't know much about the engeneering of theese tunes.

2) I actually have 2 V6S vehicles and am wondering if one ECU programmer can be used for both?

Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
0-60 and 1/4mile figures would be awesome.

If a dealer were to install a software update (when the tuned flash has been uninstalled), will there be a problem reinstalling the flash?
This happened to me and yes it did cause issues.
They were easily rectified though.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts