Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed it? I bought my 2016 RRS HSE used in June and immediately installed their crank pulley and software. The difference is amazing, and I’m trying to decide if I want to shell out another $1,000 for the transmission software. I can’t find a lot of information on it, and when speaking on the phone with Chris, he told me it’s impressive and almost as fast as a dual clutch transmission.

The car I sold to buy this one was a 2015 Audi S3 with engine and transmission software, and it definitely made sense with that transmission. I guess I just want someone to tell me they have it and they love it 😂

Edit: I used to have a pick up truck for work, and because I changed jobs recently, I no longer have it. I bought the RRS to replace both (towing my trailer, going reasonably quickly, etc.), and because it is my daily driver, I don’t want to have it shift like a muscle car with an extreme shift kit all the time.

·
Registered
2019 RRS Dynamic Supercharged
28 Posts
Has anyone installed it? I bought my 2016 RRS HSE used in June and immediately installed their crank pulley and software. The difference is amazing, and I’m trying to decide if I want to shell out another $1,000 for the transmission software. I can’t find a lot of information on it, and when speaking on the phone with Chris, he told me it’s impressive and almost as fast as a dual clutch transmission.

The car I sold to buy this one was a 2015 Audi S3 with engine and transmission software, and it definitely made sense with that transmission. I guess I just want someone to tell me they have it and they love it 😂

Edit: I used to have a pick up truck for work, and because I changed jobs recently, I no longer have it. I bought the RRS to replace both (towing my trailer, going reasonably quickly, etc.), and because it is my daily driver, I don’t want to have it shift like a muscle car with an extreme shift kit all the time.
I have the AP software on my '19, and LOVE it. I will wait for you to install the transmission software and buy it, as well! :D

Reactions: edogg218

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took the plunge and I just ordered it. I'll update once I have it installed.

·
Registered
2019 RRS Dynamic Supercharged
28 Posts
Well, I took the plunge and I just ordered it. I'll update once I have it installed.
Oh yeah! Waiting here with my popcorn!

·
Registered
389 Posts
What’s th update ? Have had the ecu flash on my l405 two years now was looking to do this

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got it flashed tonight, and it’s worth it! The delay was caused by an issue with the HP Tuners software not recognizing the serial number on my TCU, and I kept getting the error for “unlicensed vehicle.”

Not surprisingly, VelocityAP and HP Tuners were great to work with despite the challenge. I should note that there actually wasn’t anything wrong on the VAP side, and HP Tuners updated their VCM suite to address it. While it took a couple of weeks, they kept me updated and got it done.

I will try and post a short video tomorrow of it accelerating and shifting. As someone said on the Jaguar forums, this is how the car should have come.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
60 Posts
I just got it flashed tonight, and it’s worth it! The delay was caused by an issue with the HP Tuners software not recognizing the serial number on my TCU, and I kept getting the error for “unlicensed vehicle.”

Not surprisingly, VelocityAP and HP Tuners were great to work with despite the challenge. I should note that there actually wasn’t anything wrong on the VAP side, and HP Tuners updated their VCM suite to address it. While it took a couple of weeks, they kept me updated and got it done.

I will try and post a short video tomorrow of it accelerating and shifting. As someone said on the Jaguar forums, this is how the car should have come.
Awesome really looking forward to it. The TCU speed is one of my biggest complaints with this car.

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome really looking forward to it. The TCU speed is one of my biggest complaints with this car.
With the raised rev limit and quicker shifts, it is noticeably faster. My daughter commented on the way to school that it was a lot faster from a standing start.

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8
33 Posts
Do you need the ECU tune in order to use this transmission tune as well?

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you need the ECU tune in order to use this transmission tune as well?
If you want to take advantage of the raised rev limit, yes. The VAP engine file keeps making power past redline, so they raised it a little bit to take advantage of it.

Combined with the crank pulley, I almost don’t miss the V8. Almost :)

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After putting some more miles on the car, highway, mountains, etc, this was the missing link. It’s perfect. And it’s my third car in a row where I did both engine and transmission software upgrades.

I’m now convinced that, with a few exceptions, you have to upgrade both to get the most out of the car. It’s smoother, quicker, and is how JLR should have written the software. It’s also slightly amusing to me that this file was probably intended for a jaguar sports car 😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts