RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the Velocity AP crank pulley last weekend and wanted to post my experience as I haven't seen another post on it here.

I used the crank pulley install how to thread from Jaguar Forums found here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/how-velocityap-supercharger-crank-pulley-179588/ as a guide.

The good news is since then, AP has started suppling a double sided belt so the idler pulley is no longer required to be changed out. Just remove, replace the pulley and install the suppled belt.

The install is not that hard. Notable differences from the Jag is we have the large "skid plate" to remove instead of the multiple plastic covers they have on the bottom. Also there is a line that runs across the front of the engine that has a bracket attached in between the pulleys. This has to be unbolted to remove the belt. It is just one 8mm bolt and the bracket has a tab you need to fiddle with to get it out of the way.

I removed the intake piping (3 hose clamps and one bolt) and top of the fan shroud (a few plastic clips) so I could work from the top as well as the bottom.

As noted in the original write up the bolts have thread locker (locktite) and fight you until the last thread. Make sure you have a good T-50 socket as I ate up two cheap ones before using a good one (Husky brand) and a long 3/8 drive ratchet (at least 18-24 inches) for leverage or it will be more painful than it needs to be. Also make sure you have either a tap and die set or a thread cleaner/chaser set to remove the old thread locker on/in there. It will mess up the torque values (48 ft lbs) or not allow you to fully tighten the new pulley down if it gets in the way. At the bottom of the picture you can see the crank pulley with the outer part removed ready for the new one to be installed.

Here is the new and old pulley next to each other. Some are silver from factory, some are black. The difference is the amount of offset and AP will supply the correct one that matches the offset and color of yours as well. As you can see the new one is on the left. It is 11.5% larger causing the supercharger to spin faster and increasing the boost by @ 3.5 psi.

So for results.... I did dyno it with just the AP tune and it put down 501 AWHP and 514 TRQ with 93 octane for what its worth. I am going to go back during the holidays and get an after pulley dyno. Not ideal but that's life.

For real world pre and post pulley I used Draggy. Same road, Dynamic mode, Sport trans mode, Traction control off, No pre load just release brake and floor it. These two are the average of the before and after runs I did.

Pre pulley:

Post pulley:

The take away for HP is the terminal speed. The time is effected by a lot of factors, like the horrible 60 ft. You can see (yellow line) there is a big delay between flooring it and it taking off. At a track I could time it using the lights but no such cheating with Draggy. Away using the normal 1/4 calculator the MPH lines up with @ 610 crank hp at 111 mph and 655 hp with 113 mph. This is all rough math anyway. I'd like to figure out the 60ft issue and get to a real track soon.

I'll update with the after dyno once I get it done.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
Nice! It was about time someone dynoed their car. Did you happen to record a dyno of your stock car or could you do that next time you visit the dyno? Pretty curious what the true gain is

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Nice! It was about time someone dynoed their car. Did you happen to record a dyno of your stock car or could you do that next time you visit the dyno? Pretty curious what the true gain is
The dyno I did above was a last minute thing as most shops didn't want to / couldn't fit the RRS on their dyno. The place that I did it at let me drop in at the end of the day so we didn't have time to play with it to much. These things heat soak quick so it takes a while to get good pulls on them. I didn't get a good stock tune run.

The plan now is to actually book an appointment with them and coming in first thing in the morning to do the stock tune, non pulley tune, and finally pulley tune. Based on posts by Chris on the Jaguar forum the stock tune will dump any above stock boost up to @ 17 psi before throwing a "unexpected value" fault. So running it with the pulley already installed shouldn't effect the results to much.

Its amazing but between this forum and the Jaguar forum I haven't seen a clean set of dynos even though the tune thread on the Jaguar forum has 43 pages now. Mostly its just the after dyno if there is one at all. I'm sure its due to small size of the community and this isn't the go fast crowd kind of cars/trucks. In the Porsche and GTR world everyone and all the vendors provide solid data. I know VAP has tried to get good data from the users but it seems everyone reports back "Its fast, thanks!" or "It made XXX whp" with no dyno or logs and that's the end of it. Based on what can be pieced together from the bits of info and times the Type F's are running it looks like VAP is in the ballpark on their claims.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
The dyno I did above was a last minute thing as most shops didn't want to / couldn't fit the RRS on their dyno. The place that I did it at let me drop in at the end of the day so we didn't have time to play with it to much. These things heat soak quick so it takes a while to get good pulls on them. I didn't get a good stock tune run.

The plan now is to actually book an appointment with them and coming in first thing in the morning to do the stock tune, non pulley tune, and finally pulley tune. Based on posts by Chris on the Jaguar forum the stock tune will dump any above stock boost up to @ 17 psi before throwing a "unexpected value" fault. So running it with the pulley already installed shouldn't effect the results to much.

Its amazing but between this forum and the Jaguar forum I haven't seen a clean set of dynos even though the tune thread on the Jaguar forum has 43 pages now. Mostly its just the after dyno if there is one at all. I'm sure its due to small size of the community and this isn't the go fast crowd kind of cars/trucks. In the Porsche and GTR world everyone and all the vendors provide solid data. I know VAP has tried to get good data from the users but it seems everyone reports back "Its fast, thanks!" or "It made XXX whp" with no dyno or logs and that's the end of it. Based on what can be pieced together from the bits of info and times the Type F's are running it looks like VAP is in the ballpark on their claims.
Haha well said, exactly my thoughts as well. I'm very used to seeing dyno logs on other forums. Before I purchased my tune, I tried scouring the web for some dyno results and found nothing. When I got my tune, I thought I would pull it off and tried looking around my area for dynos. Nothing seemed easy so I gave up and was satisfied with the butt dyno post-installation. I imagine that's what most people's though process looks like. Still, I'm surprised nobody has done anything on the Ftype side.

Props to you for going through with it, looking forward to seeing the results. I'm only running the tune (no pulley) so I'm impressed with your result of 501 at the wheel. Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, that's higher than what VAP is advertising at the crank with just the tune. I'm curious how much of a difference the crank pulley makes (and the decat downpipes if you want to make another purchase ;)). Do you know what type of dyno your shop is using? Also, were you able to record any 0-60s with your Dragy?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha well said, exactly my thoughts as well. I'm very used to seeing dyno logs on other forums. Before I purchased my tune, I tried scouring the web for some dyno results and found nothing. When I got my tune, I thought I would pull it off and tried looking around my area for dynos. Nothing seemed easy so I gave up and was satisfied with the butt dyno post-installation. I imagine that's what most people's though process looks like. Still, I'm surprised nobody has done anything on the Ftype side.

Props to you for going through with it, looking forward to seeing the results. I'm only running the tune (no pulley) so I'm impressed with your result of 501 at the wheel. Assuming 20% drivetrain loss, that's higher than what VAP is advertising at the crank with just the tune. I'm curious how much of a difference the crank pulley makes (and the decat downpipes if you want to make another purchase ;)). Do you know what type of dyno your shop is using? Also, were you able to record any 0-60s with your Dragy?

Trust me I wanted to get the “200 cell cat down pipes” but VAP has said they don’t add any power per say. Its mainly for sound. Though they change the tune to hold power longer since the cat overheat is less of an issue. If anyone wants to donate a set I‘m happy to dyno them...

The Dyno is a Dynojet 424X model. The run above is in SAE standard. The shop is a big HP tuner user and datalogged the run. I just didn’t get the file off him before I left. I’ll grab the datalog for the next set. and post it with the dynos

For 0-60 I’m getting around 4.4 sec with the 1 ft roll out used by the magazines or 4.7 raw.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Trust me I wanted to get the “200 cell cat down pipes” but VAP has said they don’t add any power per say. Its mainly for sound. Though they change the tune to hold power longer since the cat overheat is less of an issue. If anyone wants to donate a set I‘m happy to dyno them...

The Dyno is a Dynojet 424X model. The run above is in SAE standard. The shop is a big HP tuner user and datalogged the run. I just didn’t get the file off him before I left. I’ll grab the datalog for the next set. and post it with the dynos

For 0-60 I’m getting around 4.4 sec with the 1 ft roll out used by the magazines or 4.7 raw.

View attachment 282780
GPPLUTTA... Great work and great contribution to this forum and Rover Sport Supercharged community!
Getting 0 to 60mph in 4.41 seconds consistently in an all "Aluminum Body" , 5,000lb Luxury SUV is in the "Super-S.U.V." standing category much like a sub 3,000lbs carbon fiber built Lambourghini does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds is the definitive
"Super-Car" ... You've effectively taken over a half a second Plus off your 0-60 time... I love the effort and charts/graphs from your Dyno you shared here too. The mods you've done are solid.

What I'd also love to see is you run some track/off-road 100 Octane fuel, with same said tune, pulley, etc and see what extra HP/TQ that would make her run!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GPPLUTTA... Great work and great contribution to this forum and Rover Sport Supercharged community!
Getting 0 to 60mph in 4.41 seconds consistently in an all "Aluminum Body" , 5,000lb Luxury SUV is in the "Super-S.U.V." standing category much like a sub 3,000lbs carbon fiber built Lambourghini does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds is the definitive
"Super-Car" ... You've effectively taken over a half a second Plus off your 0-60 time... I love the effort and charts/graphs from your Dyno you shared here too. The mods you've done are solid.

What I'd also love to see is you run some track/off-road 100 Octane fuel, with same said tune, pulley, etc and see what extra HP/TQ that would make her run!
I’ll ask VAP if the have a 100 octane tune. I did inquire when I purchased the tune if I could get an E85 tune as the RRS was Flex fuel in 2014 but he said they do not have a E85 tune for them. I’m guessing if there was an 100 octane tune he would have mentioned it. I’ll ask regardless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I went to my dyno appointment Monday with mixed results. Apparently there was a miscommunication between myself and the dyno shop as when I showed up there was a car on the dyno and it didn’t finish until 30 mins after I arrived. It seemed everyone and their brother was trying to get dyno‘d before the holidays so we basically drove on the dyno strapped it down and made only one clean pull without a good cool down as there was an aborted run (hit the kick down during the pull) right before the final pull. He was under the impression I just wanted a quick pull to see what the pulley did and had cars booked right against my time so there wasn’t a chance to go through all the tunes. Anyway enough excuses:

Here the pull against a run from the first tune only day with the SAE correction factor applied. The 501 whp posted above was the highest and this 498 was the lowest for that day. It was consistent with good 15 mins cool downs on that day.

Here it is in STD correction factor, both use a smoothing factor of 5:

As you can see there is a delta of @ 26-27 hp with the pulley and 42-46 trq. I don’t think this is a fair comparison as you can see the hp curve collapse near the peak. Most likely due to heat soak from the back to back runs. Looks like it was heading to close to 540-550 ish if the curve continued.

The shop owner has a Jag F type with the same engine. He tuned it himself with HP tuners software and he claimed the jag put down 528 tune only ( guessing RWD) and the numbers we saw during pull (peak ign adv @ 26) was very close to what has in his tune.

This was anything but the solid consistent comparison I wanted to complete and will probably go back when the schedule allows to get this straightened out. I wanted to be up front to show this is almost always a pain for whatever reason (Murphy’s law) and to post up what I have.

I’d like to look into the horrible intercooler coolant circuit (uses engine coolant and has no reservoir of its own). I’m guessing for the typical pull or two it’s good enough. Nobody does numerous pulls with these so it might not be worth splitting it out. Until next time.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the full report when the shop has more time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’ll ask VAP if the have a 100 octane tune. I did inquire when I purchased the tune if I could get an E85 tune as the RRS was Flex fuel in 2014 but he said they do not have a E85 tune for them. I’m guessing if there was an 100 octane tune he would have mentioned it. I’ll ask regardless.
Keep the 93Octane tune as is... Running 100 Octane in a 93Tune was something guys used to do at the track with race fuel to knock time off their runs. I've heard of zero negative results. Just a cleaner burn with the best/highest fuel grade one could run. I'd simply ask your tuner guy if it's okay of course to do... Safety of the engine first and all... but I'm betting its fine buy your Tuner Shop will confirm!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If these things are tune with more HP than SVR, why aren't we seeing 0-60 closer to 4 seconds and 1/4 miles closer to 12.5 ? Tuned/Pulley HP is roughly around 650 HP. We have almost 75 HP difference between tuned RRS and stock SVR.

Stock SVR is 0-60 4.3 and 1/4 mile at 12.8. SVR is 575 HP Stock

Thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
So he tuned his jag with HP Tuners?!?! This would have saved you a ton of money on the tune if he can also tune the RRS using HPT.

Do tell and thank you for getting some actual data.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If these things are tune with more HP than SVR, why aren't we seeing 0-60 closer to 4 seconds and 1/4 miles closer to 12.5 ? Tuned/Pulley HP is roughly around 650 HP. We have almost 75 HP difference between tuned RRS and stock SVR.

Stock SVR is 0-60 4.3 and 1/4 mile at 12.8. SVR is 575 HP Stock

Thoughts?
I run 12.4 in the qtr measured with draggy all day long. The closest 1/4 track is 3+ hours from me. I don’t care enough to drive that far for a track slip so the draggy is good enough for me. 12.4 lines up pretty well with a 650hp 5200lbs automatic awd vehicle.

My 0-60 is 4.4 seconds. I do think the SVR has a more aggressive program in the transmission control unit. There is a delay in the launch, even in Dynamic mode, trans in sport and traction control off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So he tuned his jag with HP Tuners?!?! This would have saved you a ton of money on the tune if he can also tune the RRS using HPT.

Do tell and thank you for getting some actual data.

He wanted 8-900 for the tune so it would have been cheaper but I found him after I had the AP tune so it was to late for me. He could have retuned mine for a few more HP but I’d rather leave 20 or less hp on the table for a proven reliable tune with a long track record.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts