RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here compared the XC90 and the Velar?

I have a MY17 XC90 at the moment but is considering either a Range Rover Sport or a Velar. I've always liked the look of the Range Rovers but ended up with the XC90 for the 3rd row seat. I did look at the Discovery but did not like it. I've decided that 3rd row seat is nice to have but not a requriement.

Didn't want to ask this question in the Volvo forum cause I alreadyknow what kind of answers I'll receive. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I cross-shopped the XC90 and the RRS, I end up with the RRS (again, 2nd one on order).

The Velar is probably closer to the XC60 vs the XC90. I find the Velar to be a little cramp if coming from the RRS and the engine feels just a little bit underwhelming. I would choose the Sport over the Velar if you're coming from the XC90.

Styling wise, the Velar wins. I like it's svelte design. if the Velar SVR ever comes out, oh boy!!

Since '18 MY, the RRS stole the Velar's interior setup and looks awesome. So if you like interior of the Velar, the new RRS will be the same. I actually prefer the pistol grip of the shifter vs the dials on the Velar and FFRR.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
746 Posts
Believe or not, my '14 Sport has been trouble free. I got it in 2013, it's been 5 great years. To be honest, that was my 1st LandRover product, and before purchase, I research the heck out of it, and really got scared by the reliability of the brand. Everybody (press mostly) says it's bad. But it was so good looking (compared to the competition in 2013), I gave in. And it has met all my expectations and beyond. I had a suspension issue, replaced under warranty, but that was the biggest issue in 5 years of ownership. I had been driving Japanese brands, Audi, Porsche and Tesla. The workmanship and quality of the interior is beyond any of those brands. We love it so much, we ordered a 2019 RRS to replace our 2014, honestly, I think I might keep the 2014 and mod it. It's not the fastest, the most opulent, but it sits right where it should be, one of the best luxury vehicles out there with enough horsepower to keep me happy (my '14 is the V8SC Dynamic, '19 will be V8SC ATB).

Service wise, can't complain, suspension issues resolved under warranty (front suspension replacement), no other big issues. Annual maintenance, rear-ended a couple of times and got rear-bumper replaced twice. Try 2 different local service center and both were excellent. I think the maintenance cost was a little crazy at the dealership, but that just comes with the territory.

Overall, quite impressed with the brand. No experience with the Velar, other than having it as a loaner for a couple of weekends when the L494 is in the shop for maintenance work.

My wife's favorite comparison is the door slamming. The XC90 feels not quite as bank vault like as the RRS. That was her decision maker right there.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove the RRS the other day, while it feels nice when stationary, the ride is much harsher than the XC90. The sales person said it's because the RRS was designed with Off Ride 1st, city 2nd in mind. Suggested that I drive the velar which is plusher which I'll be doing today.

The full size range rover felt nice during my short drive but it felt too big and it's price puts it out of reach for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Velar cause I also look the look very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts