RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Land Rover purchase, and my first post on this forum. My previous car was an Audi A7, but my wife convinced me that I'd be happier if I was sitting up higher (which is code... she likes being up higher and didn't enjoy riding in my A7). I have to admit, the Velar is a perfect compromise, and she really loves it as well.

I've had the vehicle for a month or so now, and I absolutely love driving it. I have the First Edition in Corris Grey, and everyone who has been in it comments on the sharp interior, the beautiful exterior, and the comfortable seats (those headrests are great, and the heated massage is a big hit). I find the performance of the vehicle to be good for an SUV. It feels faster from a stop than my wife's Jeep (2014 Grand Cherokee Summit) but at the same time feels quieter and more refined at higher speeds. I am in New England and we have gotten some snow, so I've had a chance to drive it in snow, ice, sleet, rain, and of course dry conditions... the 22's look sharp and handle great most of the time, although in deeper snow they leave a little to be desired.

There is a lot to love about this vehicle, although I will say there have been a few issues in the last month that I hope can be addressed. I have been in communication with the dealership about the issues.

The first one, which I saw a thread about on this forum, is the fogging up of the windows. I actually get self-conscious when I am driving and the windows are fogged up. Obviously there is a safety element here (poor visibility, sometimes really poor) but it just makes the car feel cheap. I never had this issue in another other modern vehicle, so I hope it is fixed soon.

I also think the software could use some refining. Occasionally the top screen will turn off and go back to the "off" position (all the way flush) while driving. It will turn back on but then not tilt at all, which can make it a little hard to see. I've also experienced that the main instrument panel screen sometimes has issues where it won't display certain information (for example - configured in two dial mode, with GPS in the middle, it will show just a default stock vehicle picture... turning off the car fixes it). Other times it will be showing navigation information but then start blinking and crawling almost like an old TV would do when the tuning was wrong. I do like how customizable everything is though, including the HUD - I love having the turn by turn navigation and speedometer right in my line of sight. Speaking of software, I hope they roll out real Android Auto integration in the next quarter or two... that's a big downside.

I must have been spolied with my Audi gas tank (good for 500 miles) or my wife's Jeep tank (seems like 500+ range, although I am not sure). The tank on the Velar is downright tiny. It's a real shame... I drive a lot for work and I am at the gas station twice a week because it gets under 300 miles to a tank.

Other issues - I find the hands free tailgate doesn't work more than half the time. I saw the post by the guy who was saying his dog walks past it and it opens - I wish I had that problem. I guess your dog is smarter than I am... it worked great the first day, and then after that no matter how many weird dance moves I do it just stays shut. I must be missing something here. Anyone have any tips on this?

Oh, another weird thing - a week after I took the car from the dealership I noticed that when breaking at speeds above 55mph there was a weird pulsing with the brakes. The service center took a look at it, and ended up replacing all four brakes. I have no idea if there was an issue with the car from the factory, or if something happened on a test drive before I took it, or if I did something to it, but they replaced all the brakes at no charge, and the issue went away.

Anyway, other than those oddities, I really love this vehicle. I am glad my wife "made me" get an SUV (she told me this after I test drove a Tesla P100D, so I was really ready to get one of those). The vehicle is sexy inside and out, it's a lot of fun to drive, it's comfortable on longer trips, and I am really happy with my decision.

Jeff

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Jeff

Glad you’re liking the Velar. I’m loving mine too despite all the teething problems I’ve been experiencing as mentioned in several other threads on this forum. It’s also my first LR product, and I’m also coming from an A7 (well RS7) daily driver to the Velar. The only thing I’m missing a bit is the sheer brute power from the RS7, but otherwise the Velar is no slouch and can be driven spiritedly with ease, which is impressive from an SUV-type. Do yourself a favor and get some dedicated winter tires. I just swapped out the all-seasons that came with my Velar’s 22” for pirelli scorpion winters. We’ve had some steady snowfall for the past few days here in Chicago and the winter tires are a remarkable improvement over the all-seasons even mounted on stock 22s. It’s not ideal for a winter setup, but it does make the car so much more capable even in the most treacherous winter roads, without sacrificing how the 22’s make the Velar look so good.

As for the pulsating brakes. My Velar had it too as soon as I left the dealership after taking delivery. I called my dealer and they said that my rotors may be warped and that they would replace them at no cost to me. Because I live 40 miles away from the dealer and I was busy with work at the time, I ended waiting 2 weeks before I could bring it in to have them look at it. That meant 1000 miles driven and by then the pulsating brakes had gone away on its own completely.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Velar L560
22 Posts
Gesture Tailgate Instructions from Owner's Manual

To operate the gesture tailgate, approach the vehicle, and perform a smooth kick and return motion. The kick should last between 1 and 2 seconds and take place within one of the vehicle's two sensor areas, as illustrated. When the vehicle recognizes a valid kick movement, the turn signals flash and the tailgate operates.

Unintentional opening: In exceptional circumstances, and if the smart key is within 47 in (1.2 m) of the tailgate, the powered tailgate may open unintentionally due to the following:

1. Car washing or high pressure cleaning.
  2. Moving objects beneath the rear bumper sensors.
  3. While changing a rear road wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that information on the Pirelli's - I'll look into it this weekend! I was hoping there would be something more capable that wouldn't change the way the vehicle looks (those 22's are something!) and it sounds like you've found it.

That's interesting you had the same issue with the brakes / rotors. I was glad they replaced mine, and it's a noticeable difference of course now, but my dealership is only 10 miles away so it wasn't as much a pain for me to get in there. They gave me a Discovery for the day so I could to the office.

They messaged me two days ago asking me to come in and have the temporary fix for the fogging performed. I emailed them back asking if they had an ETA on the "real" fix (I had seen in a thread on here that parts were expected in January) and they said they would get back to me this coming week on that... I'd prefer to make one trip and have it fixed versus a temporary fix trip and then another one to undo that and get the real fix.

If you're coming from an RS7 then you have it worse than me... :) I was missing the A7 the other day (just a little) where it would just GO... but the RS7 is a big step up from my old A7. I have to say even though the Tesla I test drove was fast off the line, it was missing something compared to the Audi. I don't really know how to explain it...

Anyway, thanks again for the tip on the Pirelli's! Stay warm this winter in Chicago!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I went out and practiced and it turns out that if I am a little more deliberate, and aim a little more carefully, I can get it every time now. I guess I should have read the manual... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow on to the post by masmole ... for anyone else looking at better winter tires with a Velar FE (or other Velar with 22's) the specific size of Pirelli Scorpion Winter is the 265/40R22 106V XL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts