RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a RRS and looking at trading for a Velar. The Velar front leg room is about 2 inches less than the RRS and so I have concerns if it will be comfortable for me. I am 6 ft 3 and find the RRS just ok as far as legroom. I will be test driving the Velar soon but wondering how tall folks out there are finding the Velar for for everyday comfort?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
I have a Velar and a RR Sport.
The driving position of the Velar is lower than the RR Sport. You feel like you are driving a very nice slightly high car, rather than piloting some kind of luxury vehicle.

There is no arm chair style rest in the velar and this makes my arm ache. I miss the arm rest on the Sport.

I find the foot rest for my left foot in the Velar to be in a bit of an awkward position.

PLenty of head room in Velar and RR Sport.

Ignition in the Velar feels a bit strange compared to RR Sport as it is at an angle.

My Velar has spring, rather than air suspension. Go for air suspension. Spring makes the ride less range rover like.

These are minor irritations only. The Velar is really a great car, it has amazing looks, great tech and is much easier to drive in the city that the RR Sport (at least in crowded, cramped European streets). The interior is beautiful.

Velar much easier to park.

If I had the choice of one of them I would still go for the Sport but only because I do a lot of long distant driving.

I find the 2.0l diesel engine of the velar to be very good. Sounds worse (noisier, less refined and less powerful) than my 3.0 TDV6 RR Sport but it still has power and you can feel the acceleration in dynamic/sport modes.

I don't like the Velar round gear lever as it feels it takes too long to change gears when in a hurry e.g. doing a three point turn, compared to the RR Sport selector.

I am told the rear has good room but it looks amd feels to me to be more claustrophobioc than the RR Sport because the windows are noticeably smaller.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for taking the time to compare the two vehicles. I currently have a 2015 RRS SVR and so I will be comparing against the Velar SVR which is suppose to be available in October. Comparing the two SVR models will add another dimension into the decision process for sure!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am going to do a long drive 5 /6 hours in the velar for the first time this week so then I will be able to make a true comparison - I have always used the Sport for long drives.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After doing approx 2x6 hour long distance drives in the Velar I have some further comments:

- My arm aches in teh Velar because of the lack of an armrest - the Sport is more comfortabl ebecause of this
- There are random glitches in teh Velar sta nav which turns off the map on the TFT screen and replaces it with a useless picture of a Velar foor hours at a time
- When I push the accelerator hard down to do an overtake there is some kind of vibrating that slows the car and then accelerates it as if the brake rubs before the acceleration kicks in which is really wierd
- the screen wash spray is not even with fine spray coating the windscreen like in the RR Sport ; my Velar just has three jets that come onto teh screen which makes it much less effective
- I really miss the RR Sport command driving position. Velar feels smaller on the motorway and I was surprised to see a BMW MPV 2 series that looked at the same ride height as me.
- Overall feel smore cramped .

Conclusion after a couple of months of velar ownership is tha tthe Velar is better in city driving but the RR Sport better for long distance and countryside driving. I prefer the RR Sport but if I lived in teh city I would prefer the Velar.
-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts