RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
What do you think is in the guts of many of the transfer cases that have given Land Rovers their low range over the years? Your link is to the general intro for Velar. Have a direct link to whatever tech page you read this on or care to share the section you are referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A search for "Chain" on that page leads to this section describing AWD. Doesn't get much cleared than that.

The system is built around a single-speed transfer case featuring a multi-plate wet clutch and a *CHAIN* drive to the front axle. Designed to be compact and quiet in operation, the transfer case’s main advantage is its speed: depending on conditions it can make the transition from 100 per cent rear bias to fully locked in only 165 milliseconds; transient torque delivery to the front axle can take as little as 100 milliseconds. This makes the AWD system incredibly responsive, which delivers exceptional performance in all conditions.

How about a Drive shaft, and not a chain. The velar's AWD system definitely not traditional.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
So what? Lots of things about Velar are not traditional. What is the issue? This in no way describes a bicycle set up. This is not a chain running exposed between two sprockets. You'll find it is just a progression on existing transfer case designs and not some ancient or flimsy design.

Here is an L322 two speed transfer case showing the chain the drives the front wheels and a P38 Range Rover two speed transfer case showing the chain the drives the front wheels... nothing at all new.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"nothing at all new" exactly. I am going to give LandRover another week to get back to me, before I comment publicly on my Velar first edition situation.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Whatever your "situation" is I can guarantee nobody from anywhere in the LRNA network is reading this forum or cares what what you report about it. Just make sure you do so in a factual, mature way.

If you are having an issue why not start a post on the issue for the benefit of all Velar owners or those interested in a future purchase. Cloak and dagger vaguebooking does nothing to assist others.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
977 Posts
"nothing at all new" exactly. I am going to give LandRover another week to get back to me, before I comment publicly on my Velar first edition situation.
You do realize people have actually destroyed their own Range Rovers in the UK to protest various issues they've had with them, and they still sell in record numbers. You waiting a week before going public, haha, isn't going to get you anywhere. Just start the new thread and explain.

And RRToadHall, why are you in such a good mood?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Exactly what is the problem with a chain drive anyway? It looks well-engineered enough from those pics. Nothing is bullet-proof. Conventional drive shafts break too. If Land Rover's intention with the chain drive was to keep weight down and improve performance by optimizing the system's reaction time, then I'm all for it. If you're concerned about a chain drive's off-road durability, it's not like the Velar was intended to be the off-roader in the Range Rover lineup anyway. It was intended for trips to Whole Foods and the driving range, if anything. I mean, that's why I bought one ;)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Ok so the OP has just made clear he has absolutely no clue as to how any of this stuff works. I am 99.9% sure he honestly thinks that there's basically a bicycle chain running from the transmission to the front differential.....

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
I am glad that I didn't read this before others because I am as baffled at the "issue" as the rest of you.

It isn't like it is new technology or old bad technology. Hummers (H1) have the same setup. They have broken in the field (blown up) and fixed enough to be able to drive out of the woods under its own power. Land Rovers for decades also. As previously mentioned.

Is this "issue" a concern thinking that the driver is going to be stuck on the side of the road because a tree branch got itself lodged in in the sprocket and the chain derailed. Heck even if that did happen you would still have 2wd.

I didn't want to get too off topic a post a picture of a broken tcase.

Breaking out my popcorn. I want to know what the issue is.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
A search for "Chain" on that page leads to this section describing AWD. Doesn't get much cleared than that.

The system is built around a single-speed transfer case featuring a multi-plate wet clutch and a *CHAIN* drive to the front axle. Designed to be compact and quiet in operation, the transfer case’s main advantage is its speed: depending on conditions it can make the transition from 100 per cent rear bias to fully locked in only 165 milliseconds; transient torque delivery to the front axle can take as little as 100 milliseconds. This makes the AWD system incredibly responsive, which delivers exceptional performance in all conditions.

How about a Drive shaft, and not a chain. The velar's AWD system definitely not traditional.
There still is a drive shaft. The driveshaft is between the transfer case and the differential.

It definitely is traditional. Not sure of another way to connect the tcase and the differential honestly but I am not a mechanic. But I have own a Hummer and Defender so I do play a mechanic in my garage. :)

EDIT: Of course I will admit I have not looked at enough pictures so see where the tcase is mounted and if there is a driveshaft configuration. But still very much traditional.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
And RRToadHall, why are you in such a good mood?
LMAO... Finally getting decent sleep, laid back relaxed like i used to be and bought another Granite to play with. This is my third Granite P38 of the original 10. Over 300K miles and rattles like an old diesel tank. Number one went to 365K miles So I'll see how far I can push this one...

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
LMAO... I doubt we will hear anything from him. He hasn't been on line since before Halloween. Considering his dramatic vague post and ill informed opening rant was met with little interest I am sure he sold out and moved on to a Camry or Civic. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.