RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I had my timing chain off and was messing with my cam to check the wear and then realized I screwed up my timing. I cant find anything in the manual (i'm sure it's there, I just cant find it), can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Using general terms you set the engine at TDC byt the fly wheel and slide the gears and chain onto the two shafts with the two timing marks pointing at each other. Make sure you are really at TDC and both valves are closed on cylinder 1.

Sadly by this point the distributor is usually off. You need to remove the distributor set it to plug #1, take into count the curve of the gear and install so that the drive shaft in the distributor/rotor is still at #1 AND you can get the distributor lock down/adjustment bolt installed. After years of distributor engines it still takes me at least 2 tries. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using general terms you set the engine at TDC byt the fly wheel and slide the gears and chain onto the two shafts with the two timing marks pointing at each other. Make sure you are really at TDC and both valves are closed on cylinder 1.

Sadly by this point the distributor is usually off. You need to remove the distributor set it to plug #1, take into count the curve of the gear and install so that the drive shaft in the distributor/rotor is still at #1 AND you can get the distributor lock down/adjustment bolt installed. After years of distributor engines it still takes me at least 2 tries. :mrgreen:
Where do I see the timing marks?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
All depends on what year rig you have. General idea is a stamped line, front to back, on the edge of the pulley with a degree scale showing when looking down at the pulley. Have you never checked the timing on your rig during a tune up?

Anyway, add your Rover's info to your signature and a location to your profile so we can give better answers based on your actual rig.

Hold on WHICH timing marks? For setting the engine or on the gears. Setting the engine is above. The ones on the gears are obvious, they are the only indentations/marks on the front of the the gears.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Typically, there are marks both on the crankshaft gear and on the camshaft gear. The camshaft gear mark should be at the six o'clock position, and the crankshaft gear mark should be on the 12 o'clock position. Unless the distributor has been removed, the orientation between the distributor and the camshaft should not change. That would put the distributor under #1, or very close. Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts