RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just putting my heads back together the shop said the valves just need lapping in with fine paste. I have lapped them in replaced the oil seal and refitted the springs.
My question is I have filled the ports with petrol and although you can't see any file running out a paper towel does get damp after a while, should the seal be water tight or is a little leakage acceptable.

Thanks

Tim

Range Rover L322 2002 4.4 Petrol

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
879 Posts
That is good enough. After a few minutes of running they will fully seal. The valve pounding the seat finishes the valve job, and carbon fills any gaps for a perfect seal.

Of course, if you are truly anal, keep polishing with lapping compound and you will eventually get a perfect seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - I have a 2006 4.2 supercharged. 105k miles. Has been running on lpg since 60k with a flashlube system. Engine management light has come on and code check identified misfires. Compression test shows poor compression on most cylinders. Since found that flashlube system was no longer connected properly (suspect garage replacing spark plugs disturbed the flashlube “straws” into each cylinder and didn’t reconnect them). Bottom line is I am faced with taking off both heads and replacing / upgrading valves and head inserts. How hard/easy cheap/expensive was the overhaul that you carried out? Was it easy getting all the suitable gaskets at a reasonable price? Any tips appreciated before I contemplate doing this job. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Just putting my heads back together the shop said the valves just need lapping in with fine paste. I have lapped them in replaced the oil seal and refitted the springs.
My question is I have filled the ports with petrol and although you can't see any file running out a paper towel does get damp after a while, should the seal be water tight or is a little leakage acceptable.

Thanks

Tim

Range Rover L322 2002 4.4 Petrol
Hi - I have a 2006 4.2 supercharged. 105k miles. Has been running on lpg since 60k with a flashlube system. Engine management light has come on and code check identified misfires. Compression test shows poor compression on most cylinders. Since found that flashlube system was no longer connected properly (suspect garage replacing spark plugs disturbed the flashlube “straws” into each cylinder and didn’t reconnect them). Bottom line is I am faced with taking off both heads and replacing / upgrading valves and head inserts. How hard/easy cheap/expensive was the overhaul that you carried out? Was it easy getting all the suitable gaskets at a reasonable price? Any tips appreciated before I contemplate doing this job. Thanks

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
You really need to make a new thread....
As a rule though, the machine and parts costs varies a LOT depending on location. Your best bet is to call around locally to you and compare prices. One thing is though, do not sacrifice quality machine work and parts to save a few quid. It will bite you in the rear.
\
Martin

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
Very simple job
Parts are expensive
One thing is very hard valve adjustment

I did this job and regret
Next time will search a second hand engine it’s quicker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts