Range Rovers Forum banner

Valve cover gaskets

916 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DaGlitch 
#1 ·
My gaskets are shot and I have new ones in the box with new bolts from A-B. I watched a video on replacing these and I'm not up for trying this myself. Any idea on how long this job would normally take a shop to do? I have secondary air....:x

#2 ·
Not sure if the secondary air would make any difference but I reckon on half an hour to do the RH one and maybe an hour to do the other as the upper manifold has to come off first so you can get to it.

#3 ·
I just did this operation yesterday on my 4.6L, first timer! It probably took me 4 hrs, start to finish and by far the most time consuming part was getting the Victor Reinz gaskets to stay on the valve cover prior to installation. I finally resorted to gluing them to the cover with some gasket maker. The second time consumer was reinstalling the coil bracket, it's not hard, just sort of awkward. I suppose if you had a technique for both these issues you could knock this out in a couple hours.

#4 ·
Looking back to when I replaced my coil packs, I should have just done the valve cover gaskets as well. I also have SAI and the 4.6 the same year as yours. One thing I did to make things easier for me in the future, was to remove the studs from the intake manifold that hook onto the secondary air control valve and pipe. Replaced these with bolts, but makes it so much easier to remove the intake manifold without having to touch those dang things. But my first time going through it was on the order of about 4hrs, same as chad.

Shouldn't be all that bad to do yourself, it's just a good amount of things to remove. Worth the experience to try if you're up to the task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.