RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005Range Rover HSE (187,000 mile) and I was driving when the valves start to clatter, dieseling sound. From what I read on here it is a Vanos gear problem. But all the things I read said it did not kill the engine. I am going to order the stuff to rebuild the Vanos, but I was wondering if I have another problem, has anyone else had the vehicle just stop running and not even be able to turn the key to start the car? I get nothing. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Dann Poindexter
Dayton Ohio

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Really hoping the engine can be turned over at least manually.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
I assume you have the BMW 4.4. It is unclear if your engine is getting power from your description. I will assume it is. That said I think your timing guides failed and not your vanos.

When I bought my 2004 it had suffered a complete timing guide failure. As a result the oil pick up became clogged and the engine seized due to lack of oil. The block was toast.

Assuming the worse in your case, which is what my engine suffered under the hands of the prior owner, the first thing you should do before you order anything is drain the oil and look for metal sparkle. Next drop the lower oil pan and look for more sparkle and timing guide pieces. You should be able to look up at examine a number of the cylinder walls. You are looking for gouges. All of these items point towards a ruined block. If you want to dig deeper, pull the heads.

Another possibility is the vanos bolt on one of the banks loosened and you lost timing. Based on your description it is hard to tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts