RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a spell on the road with work, have a laundry list on the wife's '03 FFRR
Coolant leaking at the bellhousing area. All hoses are good at the rear after removing HVAC intake housing, so guessing valley pan gasket.
Oil leak from who knows where.
Power steering goes stiff when stopping, until you restart the rig. Guessing steering transducer.
And an annoying squeaking type noise when rolling after a while. Happens engine on and off, transfer case high and low range, trans in neutral and drive. Guessing a wheel bearing/hub issue.

Ugh

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
All perks of the BMW Rover `)

Coolant - Check to see if it's the heater core connector JHC000081
Power steering - 05 Did same thing, simple CHF11s flush helped and stopped shaking as well
Oil leak - Check back of valve covers, the small dips leaked for me even after a small coating of RTV black

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already had the hvac intake off, all hoses dry.
The steering rack had new fluid in it when I replaced it a year or two back, but was thinking of a fluid change also.
This thing has more oil leaks than a 1980 Lada......rofl

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,
Took the rear rotors off and turned them. Squeaking stopped.
Swapped steering transducer with Luke's '03 one, same thing. Set off, nice easy steering. Then after it firms up at speed, it wont go back to easy until you shut it off and restart. Cant see a bad pump doing that, seeing as it is technically working etc.]

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
760 Posts
In my experience the most common cause of stiff or unusual steering behaviour is the BCU under the front left hand seat. Its very easy to swap and does not need to be coded although once you have established that it is the problem, it would be wise to sync it with the vehicle using appropriate diagnostic equipment to ensure all the applicable features for your particular car are enabled. (you will lose sync with the remote central locking but that's easy to resync).

I have successfully swapped the offending chip on the PCB to cure a jerky steering. I am not sure if the same chip causes stiff steering but the BCU is normally cheap enough to buy from a breaker so isnt worth the hassle of electronic surgery to replace chips.

As Keralis posted the most common cause of rear coolant leaks is JHC000081. Followed by the valley pan and then the rear coolant manifold and/or the O rings on the tubes that run from the coolant pump to the manifold.

As for the engine oil leaks - its designed to leak to prevent underbody and chassis corrosion. But I know that you knew that already.:razz: Clever people those Land Rover designers from the 40's and 50's.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Martin, didn't you replace the valley pan when you did the timing chain guides? I replaced mine at 95,000 miles due to a slow coolant leak that couldn't be traced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts