RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So I decided to hardwire my V1 in my Range Rover - as I do in every vehicle. I had the V1 stuck dead center on the windshield for the first few days I had the car, but I decided that I would put it above and to the right (passenger side) of the rear view mirror. I pulled the large cup holder out of the center console/dash area and tapped a switched 12V source as the power for the V1 hardwire adapter kit and grounded it to a screw (to the body) down there as well.

This was working fine for the first few minutes, but then I started to get a constant laser warning - which is of course the most annoying sound of all of them - and I can't figure out what it is for the life of me. At first it would only happen when I turned or already had the headlights on. It seems to happen much more often at night but it will even go a few days and be perfectly fine and then go nutso again!! :evil:

I tried to eliminate as many possible problems as I could. I tried a different V1, mounted in the same location with and without the hardwire kit. Same result. I tried a different V1 in the center of the windshield with and without the hardwire kit. Only a few laser falses, but once it starts it is either constant or stops for 1 second and then starts for about 5 - 10 seconds.

Anyway, I've tried all new equipment, all new wiring, even all new spots to no avail... I can not live without a V1 in this car and it would really suck to have to disable the laser function because of this. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing thise and a potential solution?? Anyone else had this problem????

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Maybe you can turn of the laser detection and just look for radar? I don't know what the options are on those things, but I think if you get a "real" laser warning the chances are it is already too late.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
The only false laser alerts I get from the V1 hard wired to the upper left of the rear view mirror in my Sport - other than the occasional car with laser guided cruise control crossing my path - are rare reflections off the white hood on sunny days. Never had any problems otherwise, and I do have the heated windshield so I think the heating filaments are not to blame for your issue, either. Only other things that I believe might trigger laser alerts are the front monitor - but if your V1 is mounted high on the windshield that should not be a problem - and perhaps (this is just a guess on my part) interference with rain and/or light sensors, which at least on the Sport are sandwiched between windshield and rear view mirror, therefore fairly close to the detector if you have it up there. Try moving it a couple of inches away from the mirror and see if you still get the alerts... Also, make sure there are no reflective or tinted portions of the windshield in front of the detector's front firing sensor. What year RR do you have? Perhaps you can contact Valentine and ask them, depending on you model year they may be aware of some incompatibility with your heated windshield.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing that is really weird is that it happens to two V1's that work fine in other cars...

I will try moving it to the other side of the mirror and also snap some pictures.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
there is a laser emitted from the right side of the rear view mirror, so if it's too close, you'll get laser alerts.
I believe it's from the rain/auto headlight sensor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine doesn't have automatic headlights and I'm not sure about the wipers... But that does sound like it could be the problem. I drive around all day today and it didn't happen once... Seems like it is only an issue at night.

-Mike

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have my V1 mounted directly above and to the driver side of the rear view mirror in my '10 S/C which has automatic everything. No issues other than the occasional laser false alarm from the tail lights of certain GM SUVs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts