RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See photo below. How big of an issue do you think this is? I've not worked on the carbs of these and am unclear whether this piece can be removed and replaced or if it is part of a carb rebuild.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What you are looking at (with the fuel sweating I presume) is the cold start assembly. It is fitted with a gasket pn 606809 and those two screws hold it to body.

Try if the screws are loose and maybe tighten with some lock tight if they are loose. You can check for vacuum leaks by spraying some flammable carb cleaner in the area and see if it affects the idle speed with it sucking it in. I suggest you either do a full rebuild or let it be if it runs ok. It looks like these carbs would benefit from a full overhaul (not that hard). You can buy refurb kits readily in fact this would be

TRC1481 (2x)
AAU7219 (2x)
RTC1817 (2x) This seems to include gasket 606809
AAU2967

Not sure where you are based, but there is currently a full carb set for sale at Ebay (USA) for about $500. Also I have a complete package available in Texas, low miles but not tested pm me if you are interested.

Regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much JS5D, this is incredibly helpful.
I'll dig into these kits and go that route first. I've cleaned carbs, but never rebuilt any and have been itching for the opportunity. If I screw it up too bad I'll be looking for some and will reach out.
This system seems to run reasonably well. I've driven it from Miami to Memphis, and taken a few 500-1,000 mile road trips. She cruises at 65-70 easily and rides like a dream. Is a bit under powered (not compared to my diesel 90 though), but idles well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are a very simple carb to rebuild. This one has obviously been apart a few times looking at the state of the screws on it. Given its age, I'd not only put a kit through it, but a new throttle shaft, new jet and new needle. All easily obtainable.

Mind you, if you are getting something around 16 - 17 MP(US)G on a run, then it might pay to leave it alone, as you won't improve much on that number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Dtoyne.
This is my first petrol Rover, though I've rebuilt Land Cruiser carbs. I'm always keen to replace all perishables when I crack in to something and will definitely source these.
If there are any part numbers handy for the shaft/jet/needle (or even model numbers for this carb that will help me find these parts) I'd be most appreciative.
MPG presently is below 14, so it probably won't hurt to dig in to them. A good winter project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts