RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, trying to diagnose a possible vacuum leak but not sure where all hoses are.
was hoping to get my hands on a list or diagram of all vac hoses to check.

addiitonaly, when i place my head under the hood i seem to hear air noise (hiss) that seems to be coming from around the plenum... checked all hoses i can see and all seems ok so im not sure if the noise is normal and its caused by the air moving in the plenum.

been trying to battle a code 45 for a while now with no luck. will be replacing o2 sensor tomorrow just in case.

also not sure if it may be a bad injector as i et a rough idle and thats when the code pops up. runns like a top at speed.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looked through rave and found no diagram or list...do you know specifically where in rave?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Use a spray bottle with some soapy water, shows air leaks. Or, if you can use WD40 on the vacuum hoses to see if your idle improves, which it will if you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Like ikoinu (cool name btw, meaning?) says, use something that burns ok and spray around the suspicious areas and listen to your idle, if it changes you have found the air leak.

Can be plenum seals. injectors, seals, inlet piping, etc, as well as vacuum hoses.

Don't set the car on fire.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Name of my Akita. I am impersonating my dog to post on this forum.
;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: vacuum diagram (found it !!!)

found the leak !!!!

it's one of the injector on the right back... used propane through a small nozle so it was pinpointed on the leak and also confirmed with an electronic stethiscope ...could hear it as if i was in a wind tunnel.

i suspect its coming from the base of the injector and it must have a seal that went bad so is there a new seal to be purchased or is a new injector in order...also any instructions on replacing injectors?

thank you !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does any one know what size the o-rings are on th einjectors...would liek to get them locally in lieu of waiting for shipping

thanks !!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've done mine. Not sure on the size. I seem to remember having to wait for them to be shipped in.

You might want to consider doing the valley gasket while you are at it and the oil seals at each end of the valley too. To get the injectors off you have to take off the majority of parts to do this job, so you might want to consider it while you are at it. A bit of preventative maintenance (valley gasket can cause air leak dramas too) and maybe stop at least a couple of the oil weeps... Just a suggestion.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
johntg said:
does any one know what size the o-rings are on th einjectors...would liek to get them locally in lieu of waiting for shipping

thanks !!!

Since your rig has been running for some time with this issue, a few more days for parts to arrive would be no big deal. If I were in your shoes I would vote for obtaining the proper items.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so I called up rover dealer and they had them and in fact they gave me all 16 for FREE !...very nice guys
so I just got through putting in all the o rings and took about 2.5 hrs ...it started and yet the air leak was still there...

maybe i was wrong about the injector...what may be back near the blk head that could leak ? thi is killing me !

thank you for any help / advise

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Valley gasket...?

Plenum seal? Vacuum hose?

How precisely have you narrowed down the leak? Did you re-seal all the jointing surfaces?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello,
In installing the new o-rings I removed the top plenum and the lower part of the plenum and I did use gasket sealer when re-installing. So I feel good about those seals.

As for pin point the leak…well, I thought I did a good job but not… the area it seemed to be coming from was around the injector nearest the bulk head on the right back (if you are in the drivers seat facing forward) … not sure what’s in that area.

Where is the valley gasket?

The only vac hose I can see runs from plenum to regulator and one from the bypass valve to the intake…aside from that I cant find anything else in that space. I can definitely hear air in that area. Used propane around the injector and seemed to idle up so not sure if the leak was sucking propane from there.

Now I don’t know if related but yesterday I did see a few puffs of white smoke …come out (not oil) seemed like possibly coolant but not sure…not sure if this is related to the air leak.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The valley gasket is basically the inlet manifold gasket that sits in the valley of the engine. It seals the manifold to both cylinder heads and seals the internals of the engine with oil seals at each end.

Having just had a quick look at mine, hard to see what else could cause it in that area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i beleive you are correct... focused on the intake gasket and there it was.... makes perfect sense...ordered the kit. assuming not very difficult to install?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Once you get to back to the point of having the injectors out again, just a matter of un-bolting the manifold, from memory (it was a few years ago now).

Points to note:
Clean the whole area thoroughly before removing the manifold, if the gasket comes off with the manifold all associated debris will fall into the engine.

Manifold can be a bit of an effort to get off. Some judicious levering maybe required.

From memory various points require oil resistant sealant, the seals are a bit crude but will no doubt be far superior to what comes off. I think the exact places for sealant is covered in the RAVE manual.

Can be a bit tricky to get realigned with new gasket in place. Patience required. Get all the bolts started first, etc.

Any questions just yell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts