RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Since redoing my top end, my engine started using some oil. Investigation revealed oil in #7 pot.

So off with the rocker cover and the valve spring only to discover that k-line seals (and I assume valve guides) had been fitted and I only had standard stem seals :sad:

Of more concern however is that the valve has a fair amount of slop in the guide.

So it seems the heads have to come off and the guides need to be replaced or sleeved

There are a few options and I am looking for some opinions

1) Sleeve the k-line guides
2) Replace with new k-line guides
3) Replace with "performance" guides like the ones linked below
4) Replace with standard LR guides

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7453

I also have a spare set of heads from my original motor, but I think they would need a fair bit more work than the heads which are on it !

Steve

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi

Since redoing my top end, my engine started using some oil. Investigation revealed oil in #7 pot.

So off with the rocker cover and the valve spring only to discover that k-line seals (and I assume valve guides) had been fitted and I only had standard stem seals :sad:

Of more concern however is that the valve has a fair amount of slop in the guide.

So it seems the heads have to come off and the guides need to be replaced or sleeved

There are a few options and I am looking for some opinions

1) Sleeve the k-line guides
2) Replace with new k-line guides
3) Replace with "performance" guides like the ones linked below
4) Replace with standard LR guides

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7453

I also have a spare set of heads from my original motor, but I think they would need a fair bit more work than the heads which are on it !

Steve
Hi Steve
If the heads already have k-line sleeves in them, the best option is to have new k-line sleeves fitted as the bulk of the machining has already been done. It's just a matter of having the replacement sleeves inserted and broached/ honed to your chosen clearance.
There's an interesting article here on why the k-line may well give superior results to replacing original guides, and, as you've already got them...
Nothing to be gained from shortened/ bulleted guides unless you have a very high lift cam fitted. The shortening for clearance at the top, the bulleting for marginally better airflow at the bottom. Downside is that you reduce the "supported"/ swept area of the valve, leading to faster wear.
To minimise down-time, going right through your spare heads and getting them to spec in all aspects and then just doing a quick swap would get you back on the road faster and you'd be sure of flatness, valve seats and valves and of course guide clearance.
EDIT- as an afterthought, the k-line fitting process should have left the stepped area at top of guide (for later type seals) intact, so if you don't have steps, maybe your fitted heads were from an earlier incarnation of RV8.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mate

I read that article, it was quite interesting. The guides do have steps for the k-line seals but they are bigger than the factory seals.

I'll talk to my head workshop guy on Tuesday and ask him about new sleeves

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi Mate
The guides do have steps for the k-line seals but they are bigger than the factory seals.
I wonder if they're from the batch of guides mentioned:
"The Rover spec is .495", the defective guides averaged about .510", providing too much press fit and distorting the seals on installation."
Easy to tell with a micrometer I guess

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if they're from the batch of guides mentioned:
"The Rover spec is .495", the defective guides averaged about .510", providing too much press fit and distorting the seals on installation."
Easy to tell with a micrometer I guess
Since k-line don't actually seem to do guides, only liners, I would say that these guides have been machined to take the k-line seals. They are exactly .530 which is the size of the KL1405; 11/32 x .530.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heads are off and all cylinders bar one look pretty oily.

I took an exhaust valve out and the valve itself looks fine, but it had more play in the guide than the ones on my old heads which had done over 200K !

So they are off to Headworx tomorrow

Steve

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts