RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, cannot find this anywhere else so thought it worth a post. Noticed that the right hand rocker cover breather pipe that allows the rubber tube to connect to the plenum is totally blocked with something black or very dark brown. (Completely sealed. !) Before I take the rocker cover off to sort out just wondered if anyone knew whether the colour of the plastic arm that is meant to be in there for the filter below is black plastic or not? Just trying to establish if that is solid sludged oil deposit or somehow the base of the plastic thing has come too far up the tube.

Would just give me an idea ahead of removing it tomorrow.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
THe oil seperator in the cover is brown or black depending on where you buy it. Pull it out and clean it.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
It's the oil separator and it's like a stack of discs with cutouts at the side of them so it will allow vapour through but not liquid. The pin in the centre of it should be standing proud of the top of the metal tube that it fits into, if it has been pushed down it can block off against the baffle plate inside the rocker cover. You may be able to get hold of the centre pin with a pair of pliers and pull it out, otherwise you'll need to take the rocker cover off remove the baffle plate and push it out from inside. At least it's the easier rocker cover of the two to get off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks guys, the hole is set totally solid with gunk so it will be off with the rocker cover, hoping I can remove the rocker cover RH gems without having to empty the coolant and remove the coolant pipe heading into the bulk head... Off to check on t'interweb

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
It's a bit tight but if you wiggle it about a bit, eventually it will come out. Even if it doesn't, it isn't the end of the world to disconnect the two hoses, they feed the heater matrix and you'll only lose a very small amount of coolant. Be careful the metal inserts in the rocker cover gasket don't drop out and disappear down the pushrod holes. Best to make sure the gasket stays laying on the head and doesn't come away with the rocker cover and make sure the inserts are back in the holes when you put it back or you'll guarantee a rocker cover oil leak.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks Gilbertd! Will endevour to do without as I am on restricted time tomrrow so pratting about with coolant bleeding also will be too much. Thanks for tips re gasket, noted! I assume I can use the existing gaskets as they have been on for 400 miles only.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
If they are new gaskets then the inserts may well stay in place but make sure you have one of those little telescopic magnets and a bit of wire handy just in case they don't. I had to fish one out with a bit of bent wire as I could see it sitting on top of the camshaft! Even if you take the hoses off, which does make the job far easier, there's no need to do a full bleed afterwards. With the thermostat closed all coolant flow goes via the heater matrix so the only air will be in the top of those hoses. As soon as you start the engine, it will force the air through the matrix and up to the header tank through the Tee in the outlet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
many thanks for the advice ! The sky may not be blue tomorrow morning here but I think the air maybe!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
If you are close to an oil change you can spray it with carb cleaner to dissolve the carbon then pull it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts