RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, i have two doubts about GEMS oil cooling system, hope somebody knows the answer.
1) which is the real task of oil cooler bypass spring valve fitted in timing cover?Is this valve really so sensible to detect oil density, so when oil is cold (thicker) the valve open bypassing oil cooler and helping oil heating? Or the valve is just a safety item, that open in case of poor flow in oil cooler?
2) i noticed that oil input and output in timing cover are really small, fittings diameter is less than 9 mm (very restrictive) and rubber pipes just 1/2". There are a specific reason why land rover choosed to use such a small lines for a low pressure/high volume oil circuit like the GEMS?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It isn't an oil cooler bypass valve it's an oil pressure relief valve that opens if the oil pressure is too high caused by too thick oil. I don't know of any engine that doesn't have one, it's there to prevent bearing spread due to excessive oil pressure. The oil cooler lines are considerably larger than the oil galleries in the engine and rather than being low pressure high volume, the lubrication system is high pressure low volume.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx richard, but there are 2 spring valves in GEMS timing cover: one is the usual pressure relief valve that every car has to limit oil pressure, the other is a valve that when open connect directly oil pump to filter bypassing oil cooler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
alesak
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing