RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
I'm the proud owner of a 1982 classic. I'd like to know if someone, with the same Buick 215 engine, already evaluated an upgrade or a replacement with a better or powerful engine (like buick 400 or 430).
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi everybody!
I'm the proud owner of a 1982 classic. I'd like to know if someone, with the same Buick 215 engine, already evaluated an upgrade or a replacement with a better or powerful engine (like buick 400 or 430).
Thanks!!
your factory drivetrain limits at about 200 hp, anything is possible as far as upgrades it depends on how far you want to take it, some are direct bolt on others require modifications.
yes there are a number of members whom have performed various levels of power enhancing swaps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
your factory drivetrain limits at about 200 hp, anything is possible as far as upgrades it depends on how far you want to take it, some are direct bolt on others require modifications.
yes there are a number of members whom have performed various levels of power enhancing swaps.
Horsepower doesn't kill axles, torque does. Worst case you'll break them after a while.

Other Buick small block swaps has been done before, namely the 340. Buick 400\430\455 engines are quite similar to the 215\225\300\340 and they weigh just a touch more than the SBC.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Xalt, you're correct an oversight on my behalf. torque...and the older drive train does not like it specially on low range, axles twist and break at about 150 lbs of torque and some 200 hp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know it's not an answer to your question but I have to comment, you lucky bugger! My first Range Rover was a 1982 two door 3.5lt. 4-speed manual. I was working in Saudi Arabia at the time and I loved that car, just point it where you wanted to go and it went. Most fun I've ever had in a car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts