RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’ve been trying to find some info on the off-road capabilities of the V6 non diesel without the “low” and rock crawl options as the TD6 & V8 SC models with no luck here or YouTube. I have the V6 Dynamic with the 380hp and wondering how good it can actually handle off-road. I don’t expect miracles with the factory 22s and tires, but was wondering if anyone had put theirs through somtopple. e difficulty situations. Found nothing on YouTube other than the evoque which I’m sure the RRS would topple. I mainly have sand soft mud around these areas. Was thinking more of the soft sand of the beach here.
On road this thing is a beast, can just imagine the V8 option.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still haven’t found anything on YouTube. Y’all think it’s comparable to the Velar in the sense that it’s a V6 without the low transfer case and no rock crawl mode?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Super capable, way better than velar. Approach, departure, wade depth all excellent. Without the low t case, the thing to keep in mind is that the computer will need to do a lot of calculations to get you through something hairy. So if the wheels start spinning, just keep light, consistent throttle on and the computer will figure it out and get you though. If you back off, which will be your instinct, or mash the throttle down, it probably wont work very well. Let the computer do its thing by applying steady, light (20-25% pedal depression) throttle and hold your foot in place, locked in rock solid, until it does its thing.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
ceteris is dead on. The drive train is not a hindrance at all. Less power is often a benefit in hairy off road situations. The basic systems across any model year are the same. The capabilities are very close. Your V6 has off road benefits of ease and reserve that most folks with V8s bypass with sheer right footed frustration.

It is a long time adage that a competent driver that knows his rigs capabilities can easily out drive any technology when off road. Enjoy it, practice and be happy with your V6.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with ToadHall. I have low-range, but practically the tires and clearance will usually be the limiting factor. Sometimes I won't bother using low if the trail has some fast sections. When you apply moderate gas pedal, the system will automatically sense wheel slip and apply the brakes to the offending wheels (not instantly, but it does work and simulates a locking front or rear differential). You need a little extra right foot beyond what you would expect due to the automatic braking. If anything, not using low-range might be more forgiving because you reduce the risk of over-powering and losing traction (especially in sand). Slow, steady rock crawling is the main thing easier in low-range. But you can still make it without--just with some lurches etc. I suppose if it's for an extended time uphill, there might be some overheating in the transmission; but I think that's protected with temperature sensors.

Hill descent control is very useful to avoid sudden slips going down. Even engine-braking in low-range 1st gear won't match the results--as I found out once. Hill descent uses mostly the brakes, not the engine; so it will work as well for you without low-range.

Have fun! Most of the places I've driven to in Utah, you will easily be able to go. If you do a lot, then get 20 inch wheels. Check the threads for tire suggestions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies guys, that’s some GREAT advice and great info on the trucks handling ability. You are completely right in that the driver is more important than the vehicle as we could be the biggest draw back to a good off road vehicle. I’m sure a pro could outdrive me in a Camry haha
i guess from your advice trusting in the trucks great computing skills built into it is key. The system is there to help me and should be trusted. I can’t wait to have some time and good weather here to try it out. If I find myself doing a lot I’ll look into a set of wheels for those days.
Again, thanks for the info, it was some good technical smart advice.
Cant even express how much I love my Sport. I don’t think I could drive anything but a RR now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The great thing about the Diesel is that you get far more torque at low RPMs vs. the SC V8 engines, which lets you really crawl and have good control in 1st gear without engaging Low Range. The best thing to consider is that you need to manage your expectations on the trails you'll be going on, especially with 22" tires.

I've gone on some difficult trails with my SC V8 w/ 21" Pirelli Scorpions, and I've only used Low Range once up a (STEEP!) rocky uphill which I shouldn't have gone up anyways with those tires. The point is that the tires will let you down before the car, Diesel, SC, Low Range, or what not.

You probably want to ensure that the vehicle you're getting has both center and rear electronic differential lockers - this is incredibly valuable in practical conditions on slippery terrain - sand, mud, snow, etc. I'm not 100% sure that all RRS have this as standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts