RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I currently have a 2011 RRS HSE Lux (5.0 V-8). I am looking at a 2014/2015 RRS HSE w/ V-6 3.0L/183.

I've always been a "there's no replacement for displacement" kinda guy. I am hesitant to go down to a V-6 on these vehicles, yet I've talked to people who said its "no big deal because it's supercharged".

I don't tow anything, nor do I drive like I need to get from Point A to Point B in 20 seconds either. I am afraid that the "feel" of not having a V-8, will make me regret the purchase.

Any feedback you could provide on the reliability, and quality of these V-6's would be great.

Thanks and Have a Merry Christmas

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
3 things:

1. the numbers support the reasoning: the NA V8 was in fact less powerful than the SCV6 and carried more weight.
2. one can get used to a V6, it's not like not getting food every other day, or something.
3. but you're right, there's no replacement for displacement.

What is that 183 thing?

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
If you are torn on it, I would drive both engines back to back which is what I did when ordering the vehicle.

I believe reliability for both are pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you are torn on it, I would drive both engines back to back which is what I did when ordering the vehicle.

I believe reliability for both are pretty similar.
+ 1; I did exact thing in 2014. Picked the supercharged V8. Then in 2015 I did same with SVR, picked SVR, unfortunately they delivered it in the wrong color that I didnt order. I was pissed and disappointed. Didn't want to wait gain, so I accepted an ATB instead. Do I miss the SVR? No. Do I want one still, No. I am satisfied with the ATB. Just a perspective. If you get the V6 youll get used to it eventually. But IMHO you will not really stop wanting the V8, so best to get that if you can. If you get the V8 you are never really going to think, "Hmm, what if I had gotten the V6 instead?" you will not look back and say "maybe next time" either. And the difference is not small. Its immediately apparent even to the non gearheads.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,459 Posts
I have a 2014 HSE. I had it pullied and tuned to over 400hp. I tow a 5000lb rig to the track over 60 miles 25 times a year. I am really happy with the vehicle. It has more than enough power to pull the trailer up and over steep grades at 65 mph. For those who think I may not be used to quick cars, I have a mid 10 second Corvette Z06 and a low 10 second Corvette bracket car. I pass many other SUVs while they were filling their tanks. The car is almost 5 years old and has only been to the dealer for an airbag software update and it's first freebie oil change.

P1030042_zps5ylcprqd.JPG

P1010993_zpsd8a28625.JPG

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
287 Posts
I started my Range Rocer adventure with a 2014 V6 HSE.

I loved it... I did the the Velocity AP tune which put me around 400hp and was fully content with it... until I drove a V8.

I now have a 2016 V8 Dynamic SC and the sound alone in startup is something the V6 didn’t have. The car also feels “tighter “ if that makes sense... this could also be because of dynamic mode (tighter steering, suspension).

I have tuned my V8 as well which has given me the exhaust crackles and pops which is intoxicating.

You won’t be disappointed with the V6 by any means... but whatever you do don’t drive the V8 if you do pick up a V6.

My V8...

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I owned a 2016 HSE with the 3.0L V6. I didn't have any issues with the power, but I also had zero towing needs.

I now own a 2017 ATB with the 5.0L V8. The power difference, exhaust note, and overall experience is night/day for me, but I've always been a big fan of rumbling, torquey V8s.

If you test drive the V6 and are happy with it I recommend not driving the V8--ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
618 Posts
Love Vasser's quote:

'If you get the V8 you are never really going to think, "Hmm, what if I had gotten the V6 instead?"'.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you spend enough time with both you will definitely want to go with the V8. Here's my experience -- I had two Audi's with V8's, then a 2010 Sport with the 5.0L V8. I traded that Sport in for a 2018 Velar first edition with the P380 V6 and thought "why not, the car is lighter than my old Sport and it has roughly the same horsepower (380 vs 375)". And it was indeed quicker 0-60. But after a few months I realized I had made a mistake and it's really an awful engine. Sounds horrible and the feel is just different. Yes it's great on fuel economy and fine if you baby the throttle and like to drive slowly. But I like to drive fast and get where I'm going and always have. So it's fine for some people but not for me. I traded the Velar in after 10 months for an SVR and it's wonderful.

And this is just my opinion and don't really want to offend anyone, but I just don't think JLR makes a really good V6 for sporty performance. We also own an Audi SQ5 (supercharged) and it is significantly better than the P380 in the Velar and the audi has 30 less hp. They get the job done which is fine but compared to Audi/BMW/Porsche not quite as good. And as I said it depends on how you drive and what gives you driving enjoyment.

And remember NOBODY ever says "I really don't like this car, it's just too powerful and fast".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Agree with trying to drive back to back if you can. I did that and it was no contest for me, went with the V8. Granted I was coming from an AMG so have a clear bias lol, but haven't regretted the decision at all. If you do get the V6 I would plan on doing what others have done and get it tuned so you're getting the most out of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2012 LR4 v8 with 375HP. I have a 2016 RR v8 SC and I have a 2017 v6 SC. Our of all 3 SUV, the Discovery "feels" the slowest with the v6 which I know the LR4 is way slower. The v8 (non supercharge) feels much better than the v6 SC. I have on order a new RR and went with the v8 again. The v6 is fine, but it just doesn't feel as refined as the v8. I am considering getting the next Discovery SVX just so I can get a v8 into the Discovery.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Serverman73,

My brother drives a 2011 LR4 HSE LUX. When I was looking for a new car, my main purpose for wanting a RR was how smooth his V8 was. So, I focused on looking for a V8 RRS (never having seen or driven one). The day I went to test drive one I was blown away by the sound of the exhaust. As a matter of fact, that's how I ended up in this forum. I Googled "2014 Range Rover Sport v8 engine sound" thinking the car I was looking at had been modified by the previous owner.

Eventually I bought that 2014 RRS SC. And for the two years I owned it, I hated the sound of the exhaust. And to some degree, the crazy power of the engine. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but IMHO it's just too much for daily driving. Like you, I don't tow anything and don't drive fast. Most of my driving is in the city.

A couple of months ago I traded the 2014 SC V8 for a 2017 HSE Dynamic (380HP V6). I have never been happier! The V6 is quieter and more refined, and it has plenty of punch. And after driving my brother's LR4 recently I will say it feels very comparable in ride, power, level of quietness, etc. to his'.

I don't know what "183" means in your post. But make sure you drive both HSE engines, the 340HP and the 380HP. I think you're gonna find the 380HP very much in line with your car's.

Jose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts