Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed a deposit on a 2014 RRS Supercharged a while back, but hadn't seen one in the flesh until today when I stopped by the dealership for a test ride in a newly-arrived model.

The test ride was pretty much as expected - the car more similar to my 2010 than different in its feel and driving position. There was a lot more power, and the interior was very nicely upgraded. A lot to like really.

However, I was quite disappointed to realize that the rear seats no longer fold flat. In my 2010, the rear seat bottoms flip forward, allowing the seat back to fold all the way down. This is no longer true in the new model. The seat bottoms are fixed in place and the rear seat folds over them, resting askew at a pretty good angle. I don't know what LR was thinking... Sure, you can still put things back there, but getting a bike inside will now be much more difficult. And the dogs will not be able to lie down comfortably on the slanted portion either. This design choice really cuts out a high degree of previously-existing "utility" from our SUVs.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I placed a deposit on a 2014 RRS Supercharged a while back, but hadn't seen one in the flesh until today when I stopped by the dealership for a test ride in a newly-arrived model.

The test ride was pretty much as expected - the car more similar to my 2010 than different in its feel and driving position. There was a lot more power, and the interior was very nicely upgraded. A lot to like really.

However, I was quite disappointed to realize that the rear seats no longer fold flat. In my 2010, the rear seat bottoms flip forward, allowing the seat back to fold all the way down. This is no longer true in the new model. The seat bottoms are fixed in place and the rear seat folds over them, resting askew at a pretty good angle. I don't know what LR was thinking... Sure, you can still put things back there, but getting a bike inside will now be much more difficult. And the dogs will not be able to lie down comfortably on the slanted portion either. This design choice really cuts out a high degree of previously-existing "utility" from our SUVs.
Agree, but obviously LR only cares about new customers.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That's all true, but a couple of points: 1) Unless you were 5 feet nothing, folding the rear seat cushion up and the seatback down in the previous gen Sport to make a flat loading area forced you to move the driver seat so far forward, I couldn't drive it for more than a few blocks without my legs cramping, and I am no giant. I had actually loosened the bolts of the pivoting bottom cushions on my now departed 2006, so that I could just unscrew the bolts by hand, unplug the seat heaters, remove the cushions and leave them in the garage if I knew I was going to need the entire cargo area in advance. Still, that was far from ideal (one of the reasons why I went with a LR4 as my next vehicle); 2) While it's true the new seatbacks are angled upward when folded over the cushions on the new Sport (I think the Evoque has the same system, not sure about the new Range Rover), it doesn't look that bad from the couple of photos I saw.

IMAG0113.jpg IMAG0114.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The folded seat complaints are interesting, I agree it's not ideal. But it's not terrible either. What I don't like, is it looks kind of cheap, and half-ass-designed... like laziness everywhere. Something you'd expect to see in a FORD or Chevy cross-over. Why bother to do it right, it'll cost this, it'll cost that, who cares... right? I see the new RRS to be just that. It's still a very nice car, but it's a Mercedes ML, a X5, a run-of-the-mill mass produced SV... for well... people. I have also removed the "U" from SUV because this thing really isn't a utility anymore. It's a Sport Vehicle. That can go off-road. And that's just fine. It is what they wanted it to be. But it is very lazy by design and value-engineered to maximize every single penny. And the price, IMO, doesn't match delivery.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is worse than it looks in those pictures. Maybe not a deal breaker, but a silly design choice.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
34 Posts
It is worse than it looks in those pictures. Maybe not a deal breaker, but a silly design choice.
They do not look better in photos.
The fact is that we must crush them until you hear the click.
Otherwise they remain more inclined.
I'm also sorry that we have lost the "cargo hold" under the seats ...! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
161 Posts

Agree 100%. A bike will likely be OK as long as you put the front wheel in first, but anything else, like heavy boxes that will now slide downhill... terrible. And - I may be one of the few who used this feature, but on a couple of back-country solo jaunts I have slept in the RRS (had a foamy and sleeping bag at the ready). Was a very comfy, quiet, and secure (from bears etc) sleep. Also impossible with the new seat arrangement....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,493 Posts
Ditto on the slight disappointment. My yellow lab would be particularly unhappy at this situation, as he frequently travels with me in the middle section on his bed in the rear seat area all nice and flat...it's going to have to be built up on the bottom side to keep it level. It's like camping in your tent on slightly declining ground, hard to get comfortable! Oh well...no new RRS yet anyway!

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
927 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

The way that it has been described made it seem that the seats were like my parents E-Class MB. They are almost at a 30 degree (or more, guess here) angle. The RRS sport do not look that bad.

Imagine the people that have Tahoe's and Yukon's with third row seats. Now that is a seat to complain about. This day and age there is no excuse for not having fold flat seats.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently, if you press down hard enough the seats will lock into place with a "click." That wasn't done when I first looked at it. The angle is less severe when fully locked down, but still there.

Here's some pics:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
That's very interesting, I will have to try that on my RR. I have been very disappointed with the new fold down seats...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just recalibrate the front suspensions 2" lower, then the folded seats will be nice and flat. :geek: :lol:
Ha! I was thinking to just load in some 1000 lb weights for a while, and totally kill the cushioning.... but Umberto these pics do look like the complaint you had with the old RRS (need to push front seats too far forward) may still be there to some extent - the rear headrests hit the front seat despite the new additional legroom.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I have found that angling the rear seat headrests forward aleviates having to move the front seats forward as much...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why wont Land Rover let me build a RRS with a 3rd row seat and 22" wheels ?

Will putting 22" wheels on a RRS with a third row seat be any type of a safety issue ?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This was by FAR my biggest let down with the new car. So much so that I considered canceling my order several times. I know it sounds drastic but nearly half the time I've had the car, the rear seats have been folded down flat so I can use it for stuff. Hearing that they click into place is a good surprise though, I'll have to go by and check them out. My other big disappointment was the lack of TFT screen option on the V6. BOO. Those two things are just plain bs.

In other news, I sold my 2010 RRS today. Very sad. Very very sad.

·
Banned
305 Posts
I looked into this and it appears to not be possible because the wheel width and offset cannot be accommodated by the smaller wheel well caused by the requisite power rear seat motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts