RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While chasing my P0128 code which seems to show water temp coming up too slowly i wanted to change the engine coolant temp sensor on top of the engine. I have done the one on the rad but no joy. Rave says that the sensor should be connected to textbook to set it up. Does anyone know if the sensor actually requires some adjustment. Not sure why it can not be plug and play. I have read that that the trans stat can also cause this issue if it opens too soon. I do have a slightly cooler stat installed but had no codes for at least a year so I am doubting that my issue is the actual stat as it is a n.o.s. bmw stat. All insights appreciated and flames accepted.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You have a Jag engine? What thermostat is in it now?! The secondary thermostat for the coolers will cause the same symptoms as a stuck open primary thermostat. I have never had to change any temp sensors before, but had to change secondary tstat in the past.

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
His sig says 2004, so BMW engine. One of the good guys that puts the information in his signature lines!

I'll check Alldata and see what it says regards the sensor....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
OK, Alldata says to reset the adaptations via Testbook for the computer temp sensor. Gauge one no.
All you're doing is resetting the adaptive values, not calibratiing anything. Same as on a P38 when installing new TPS etc.
I have replaced some sensors over the years where it was not required, and others where it was.
It will eventually read correctly after the required number of drive cycles though.
I'd say give it a shot and see if it reads right or not at the OBDII socket. Just get a generic code reader that can read live data and see if the numbers make sense. I would think a TekPro could also reset it, I'd have to look through the menu's though

Martin

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many thanks for the clarification and interpretation of "resetting" adaptive values. And so also re the trans stat. Will advise when done. Just need to collect some funds and then get those parts including the roll bar bushings.:shock:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Its the mobile app. If you sign into the site itself from your fone, you'll see it

Diff,
I have changed various sensors that did need an adaptive value reset, but non like a temp sensor that just sends an ohm signal to the ecm. Mind, with BMW involved, there is no telling.......lol
Worse case, you put the old one back in.

Martin

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Martin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts