RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi has anyone successfully integrated an Amazon Echo Dot with the 2018 RR Sport infotainment system?

I am trying to connect my MY18 RR SPORT HSE to an echo dot in the car... I can connect to the car's wifi hotspot (via a £5 per mth ID Mobile in-car data sim) no problem and I can connect the dot to the car's bluetooth no problem... but then in media settings, the car does not recognise the echo dot as a media source (see attached photos).... it recognises my iPhone and other bluetooth devices no problem.

I was wondering if anyone had solved this? (there is no 3.5mm aux in on the RRS so I don't know how to manually get the audio signal from the echo dot into the infotainment system other than via bluetooth which doesn't want to work)

Any help from an in-car ICE expert would be much appreciated.... it would be awesome to have Alexa in the car as I have an Amazon music subscription

Thanks

IMG_5620.JPG IMG_5621.JPG IMG_5622.JPG

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That USB connection is likely not using the correct profile. I believe on the dot it's simply for power and charging and you're trying to use it for USB media storage which the Dot doesn't do. The USB audio source on your car is meant for devices that store the audio files on a usb mounted storage. Most phones have a special profile for USB mounting that facilitates this but the Dot wouldn't. You might be able to do connect the dot to your car's Bluetooth audio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That USB connection is likely not using the correct profile.
Thanks for the reply... I've actually solved the problem since my original post and it is working fine now. I'm not actually trying to use the USB as an audio source, only a power source (the photo i posted may have made you think this but it just shows the last selected source).... I connected the dot to the internet via the car's wifi hotspot (which uses a mobile data sim)... I then connected the dot to the media center via bluetooth. The problem I was having was that the dot didn't then appear as a selectable source in media settings. When I turned the car off and back on again - BINGO - it appeared as a media source. Obviously this isn't perfect but if people follow the same steps exactly (remembering to pair bluetooth first then restart car) it should work fine!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks for the reply... I've actually solved the problem since my original post and it is working fine now. I'm not actually trying to use the USB as an audio source, only a power source (the photo i posted may have made you think this but it just shows the last selected source).... I connected the dot to the internet via the car's wifi hotspot (which uses a mobile data sim)... I then connected the dot to the media center via bluetooth. The problem I was having was that the dot didn't then appear as a selectable source in media settings. When I turned the car off and back on again - BINGO - it appeared as a media source. Obviously this isn't perfect but if people follow the same steps exactly (remembering to pair bluetooth first then restart car) it should work fine!

Oh I see. What you also might consider is using a "charge only" usb cable. That is a must when charging phones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts