RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get the range up a little bit over standard height. Ive been searching and trying to come up with a relatively cheap way by using OEM rover springs. It's my understanding that classic coils are softer, but longer.

But, has anybody used a set of OEM discovery springs? I believe the rear sags when doing this, but what about a spacer in the rear?

Im particularly targeting those with coil conversions, not the dreaded debate of EAS vs springs, as my truck is already on coils and Im looking to fit some decent tires under there for these winter months.

Please let me know, or I will be forced to continue on my own.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Awol.

12 months ago I fitted standard height & 30% stiffer "King Spings" manufactured in Australia & these are available stateside.

As my '88 Classic is the pre-facelift model before anti roll bars where introduced, the original springs were stiffer than the post anti roll bar units you mentioned and the "King Springs" fitment is actually the Disco' set which were harder again, as Disco's were not fitted with a self-levelling A-arm like Classic Rangies so to compensate they were stiffer and now 1" taller.

I've fitted poly-air bags in the rear which helps the handling, load carrying and stability as A-arms have a tendency to rock !

In your application I would order some polyair bags for the rear and possibly the front if these do not conflict with the shockies as this will raise the body height further at 20psi max., pickup a second hand set of factory OEM 16"x8" rims and install a set of Interco SSR's in 265/70R16 size and finally touch base with Rick at www.doetsch-shocks.com for greater length dampers ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just swapped in some Disco II rear coils on mine. It raised it about 2". Wasn't hard at all. Swap your rear coils for the taller Disco coils. Then take your old rear coils, and swap them with your front coils. Haven't noticed a difference in driveability, but I do believe it rides better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BeanBean said:
I just swapped in some Disco II rear coils on mine. It raised it about 2". Wasn't hard at all. Swap your rear coils for the taller Disco coils. Then take your old rear coils, and swap them with your front coils. Haven't noticed a difference in driveability, but I do believe it rides better.
What would happen if I put 1 set of disco rears in the front, and 1 set of disco rears in the back. I assume based on your findings I would need some sort of spacer in the back, but have a 2" lift overall?

Basically I am working from scratch and need to find a good balance od height/comfort using OEM parts.

- Scott

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure. The OEM P38 springs are pretty much the same height, only difference is the compression rate. The two inches in the front is achieved because they don't compress the 2".

·
Registered
457 Posts
I bought my P38 with a coil kit fitted (gets ready for boos and hisses from the EAS champions :naughty: ) it had the Bearmach blue springs and sat about motorway height, Low I think on EAS setup. This was ok for a while but as I got to off road the car a bit more I wanted to lift it up a bit.
I was offered for free a brand new set of RR Classic heavy duty +1" springs, had these fitted after much deliberation and the Rangie now sits around off road height, the measurements are 33.5" to the top of the wheelarch at the front and 34" at the rear. On taking the blue springs off they'd look liked they'd been cut down at some point to lower the car, comparing them to other blue springs they were not as tall anyway.
I fitted Koni heavy track shocks at the same time, the ride is a bit firmer but not harsh though if I was doing it again or my shocks go I'd try standard shocks as the Konis are bit firm.

I've got 255/65/16 AT tyres on and once they've worn I'll replace them with 265/75/16 as there's plenty of room under the wheelarches and it'll give me another inch of clearance under the diffs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
BeanBean said:
The OEM P38 springs are pretty much the same height
There is no such thing as OEM springs as LR never made springs for the P38. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
P38 4.6 on 255/65/16
Disco1 +20mm coils
Bilstein shocks (I think)
Maeured on reasonably flat driveway.

Ground to top of wheelarch
Front: 810mm = 31.9"
Rear: 830mm = 32.7"

Centre of wheel to top of wheelarch
Front: 465mm = 18.3"
Rear: 485mm = 19.1"

·
Registered
543 Posts
Awol.[attachment=0:2cwc87wk]FloodNSP.gif[/attachment:2cwc87wk]

So what sort of winter excursions are you planning ? Anything similar to my brother's back home as per recent attached image !

Obviously a snorkel is mandatory in the tropics to get this truck up a little bit but just checking how high you really want to go.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just remember, if you use any of the aftermarket products that provide mounts for the spring perches, they add to the height. Some have bottom and top for the rear and bottom only for the front. It means that springs that raise a RRC a specific amount will raise the P38a an additional 1-2", depending on the kit. It's just something to think about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So could I put discovery rear springs in the front, then rear RRC coils in the back for an all around 2" lift?

I just want a level ride without too many hassles of spacers, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know if Old Man EMU Disco I fronts, and RR classic rears would work?

On ebay, it would cost me about $195

Is there a big difference between disco 1 and 2's?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts