RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I buy a used key fob on ebay and program it to my truck by using the synchronization method?

·
Registered
517 Posts
No

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
medcapequip said:
Can I buy a used key fob on ebay and program it to my truck by using the synchronization method?
If you could find a way of re-programming any key fob to match your own BECM you would be VERY popular here!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Has it ever been answered as to why key fobs can't be reprogrammed? I know there's a Black and a Grey Fob, they look identical colour on mine though :? But what's the big deal about reprogramming a key fob to match the car.
How come the manufacturer can do it but the truly gifted on this forum can't?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Cornishman said:
How come the manufacturer can do it but the truly gifted on this forum can't?
Well apart from the electronics being 'sealed' inside, which, whilst i know it is possible to separate, is difficult, you only have 3-4 'copper pads' on the board, that you have to program the remote via.

IIRC, Colin (BBS), has been offered by someone (unkwnown) to read the program from the chip on the remote, but this hasn't been carried out so far. If the program was read, then it would be possible, eventually, to create a programming tool, but that is a lot of effort. Also, you would still probaby need information from the manufacturer about which fob code data to program in, for each vehicle. Have a read of the "FOB code" paragraph from here:
https://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM022.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts