RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys;
I have a 2010 RRS and having problems with the USB connection.
I just tried to connect a 8gb memory stick with music in it and received the "Device Error " message. I tried unplugging and plugging again and also turning the car off and on again. No results. I also notice that the stick never seems to be powered up as if the connection is not providing power at all.
Your help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As a guy who buys a lot of USB media gadgets, I'll suggest you try a different stick first. Isolate the problem.
Try a 2 GB stick. Format it FAT16 then FAT32. Copy a few files over. If it works, then there is nothing wrong with your car.

In my experience, compatibility is a hit-n-miss. Due to the fact, some USB sticks require different power consumption.
'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chronoguy;
Thanks. I followed your suggestion and tried a 2gb stick which worked perfectly. Oddly enough, I disconnected the 2gb and connected the 8gb and this time it worked.
I hope my experience will help others facing the same problem. Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having a similar experience with a 2010 Range Rover. Three new USB sticks later and I am still getting a device error message. The dealer tried a stick for a Jag XJ and it worked. I would very much appreciate it if someone who has a working USB stick would tell me what brand and GB capacity you have found that works. Sincerest thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
chronoguy is on the money. A lot of cellular devices have problems with higher capacity micro cards. If you stick to a name brand and 4GB or less you should not have issues. Anything higher may give you intermittent problems but if you need the extra capacity then be aware it may not always run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for your reply! Thus far, SanDisk, Sony and Kingston sticks all with 4GB or less have consistently given me the dreaded "device error" message. I have the local dealer contacting Land Rover's tech support people to get a suggestion for a commercially available device that will work and will pass along what they tell me. Again, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
31 Posts
With some assistance from umberbob and this link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic47727.html

I have finally gotten something to work. It turns out the message "Device Error" doesn't seem to have much to do with the USB flash drive itself (the "Device"), but likely more to do with the files on the drive. Despite the fact that the system easily plays MPEG-4 files from an iPod in the Range Rover, if those same files are on the flash drive it gives a "Device Error" message. Naturally, just copying the iTunes files over to the flash drive is the most expeditious way to get them there but, of course, that can't work.

Having gone to the trouble of converting a couple of MPEG-4 files to MP3 in iTunes, the flash drive (a Sony 4GB in this case; formatted FAT32) worked and the songs played. It seems that AAC audio files can be converted to MP3 in iTunes but any number of ones purchased from the iTunes store are Protected AAC audio files and cannot be converted.

I hope this is helpful to others and I greatly appreciate the kind advice I have received on this forum.

Best regards

·
Registered
325 Posts
Makes sense. mp4 files AAC are usually protected and proprietary.
I just stick w/ regular MP3 (I buy 80% from amazon.com vs itunes) for this exact reason. I only buy from iTunes if it is not available on amazon music store.

The error message should say "File Read Error" instead of "Device Error" which leads to confusion. It is a file compatibility issue rather than hardware. If Land Rover is reading this, they should update the firmware of their USB mp3 reader/player.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To add to the confusion with the "Device Error" message, the system also gave me that error with a correctly formatted flash drive with no files at all on it! Thanks again to everyone for their assistance in working through this. Best regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts