RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I got a new OBDII to Usb port cable with a lot of effort from a company in South africa. Yes I know it is not working can anyone tell me why it is not working?????

Chow from Namibia

·
Registered
931 Posts
rangenam said:
Hi All

I got a new OBDII to Usb port cable with a lot of effort from a company in South africa. Yes I know it is not working can anyone tell me why it is not working?????

Chow from Namibia
I f you obtained a standard OBD11 to usb cable ,then it will not work with a P38 as the OBD on the p38 is not standard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's not correct. Depending on the year, market and engine (petrol vs diesel) the P38 supports OBD2.

Mine is a '00 export model 4.6 (middle east) and is OBD2 compliant.

N.

·
Registered
931 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
That's not correct. Depending on the year, market and engine (petrol vs diesel) the P38 supports OBD2.

Mine is a '00 export model 4.6 (middle east) and is OBD2 compliant.

N.
Didnt put across too well.What I was trying to say is that the cables that are bought off the shelf nowadays are often for CAN bus and will not work on the P38.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all

The one I bought, descriptions on it is obdii and obd 1260:

It has a led light aswell and a chipbord inside.

The cable made by RWsolutions seems to me to be a lot simpler than the one I bought.

To find another obd2 cable in windhoek, namibia is not going to be easy.

Can I splice the wires above the male plug on the car and have a cable that is in the car permanently????? Just an idea.

Chow from nam..

·
Registered
92 Posts
It seems the cable you bought is for OBD2 use, so it will work with software to read engine parameters or trouble codes. It sounds as though you are wanting to use the EAS software. To do so, you could hack the connector from the OBD2 J connector and wire it to a serial cable, or as you asked, you could hardwire a serial cable to the obd2 port on your Rover and leave it coiled up in the glovebox when not in use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts