RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of any specs for USB Flash Drives for compatibility with the RR audio systems? Will it accept any capacity drive? is it USB 2.0 and 3.0? does it need any special formatting?

I looked in the owners manual and could not find any info.

If anyone has a recommendation for a specific flash drive, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a really good thread that came about this and LOTS of info regarding USB compatibility and audio formats etc... for the life of me I cant remember the thread but a quick search ought to bring it up. Maybe try "USB" in the L494 forum. I know that the title started with something the effect of "New owner experience including audio and video"?

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
USB 3.0 devices are backwards compatible with 2.0 devices/readers.

The USB slot on the RRS is 2.0

It will read FAT32 file format, I have not tried with anything other than FAT32. My guess is, FAT16/32 is probably the only format it'll read. Like any generic USB devices, it's a safe bet to go FAT.

I tried it with a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive and it reads fine. My flash drive is a full size, not the low profile ones, and it fits in there fine. I find it more useful going USB flash vs have an iPod Touch or a USB hardrive in there. Unless you're doing SSD, the moving parts on platter hardrives will not go well with a 510hp supercharges speeding demon with suspension set to sport. :)

Non moving parts, small and low cost makes USB flash drives ideal. However, the seek time to bring up where you last left off on your MP3 file is very slow. I could be driving a good 30 seconds or even a minute, before music starts to play. I filled my 64GB drive up, so there are tons of files in there. I think it takes a bit of time for the computer to find the file you have.

You do have to decide on your organize your files on the drive though. It will just keep playing down the list and folders in alphabetical order, but the songs themselves are not necessarily in the right order. I still have not test it out, always forget to. Seems like the songs are sorted in ID3 tags info or some other sort of metadata info. Definitely not by file name, which is weird.

I can do...

01_first song as the name, but in the listing layout on the car, it could be the 7th song.

Will sort this out once I remember or have time.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think someone else mentioned that this could be the ID3 tag of the song or some other metadata on the song not being populated correctly(or at all).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts