RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a USB charger that will fit the cigar lighter of a 1995 RRC? I haven't had any luck searching the forum or the internet in general. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have yet to find one either. Cigar lighter sockets are slightly larger than cigarette lighters (as you already know). I've seen a mod that uses a piece of bicycle inner tube w small slits cut for the metal to slip through and slides over the insert. Sorry can't seem to find the link.

Or like Ranger did just replace with a USB socket. Another option if you want to keep more of an original look is to replace with a modern cigarette lighter. I think you can find some with the light up green edge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I actually did not know there are cigar lighters vs cigarette lighters. Why do I suddenly feel kike less of a man for having a cigarette lighter?
Is this a model year change or NAS specific?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not all car USB chargers are alike in my experience. There is the obvious Amp output (which should hardly be a challenge with the amount of 12v power available), then there is the sharing of amps between multiple sockets, but there is also a bunch of cleverness build into phones to decide which charging rate is used.

So you need a true 'high power' USB socket which is not shared across multiple outlets and had build in cleverness.

Since most of the these type of items are made in China at really low cost there is a lot of 'advertisement confusion' out there. Just like with battery packs were Amphrs are shamelessly added up in serial connected applications.

I recently found this devise https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141Y4IRG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which does a great job at fast charging but has a hopelessly useless (and hideously looking) cigarette lighter connector. In fact I could not get it to work plugged in when I tried. This did not matter much to me, because it was always the plan to hard wire it in and leave it in my cubby box. You can just chop the connector off there is nothing inside. Total power output is suppose to be 65W so that is knocking on 5 Amps at 12/14v.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
In my ‘95 LWB I left the front cigar lighter for plug-in devices, but installed this in place of the rear ashtray.

21215CD8-9F4A-4C05-9B3D-EC9AD70EBD92.jpeg

616320E2-9EE9-45BF-92CC-071D89204BBF.jpeg

I decided to replace the rear passenger ashtray with dual 12V charging ports plus an additional 12V socket. This will allow rear passengers to charge/plug-in, charge gear kept out-of-sight on the rear floor, or route a USB cable to the front seat area.

Our LWB is our long-haul traveler so this mod has come in quite handy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Now that is slick, tom! I may have to borrow that idea for mine. Did you 3D print that piece to replace the ashtray?
Yeah that's real nice! Did you make it or is it off the shelf? Link please if from a vendor.
No, it's built from scratch. I should probably make a kit...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts