RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this!? I just saw this online from their configurator, AND a video comparing the two. The U.S. autobiography verison has a stripped down, 2 beam LED "premium" headlight feature, while the European model has the 4 individual LEDs that are more advanced.

What gives??? Why wasn't this even stated?

Differences:

US Autobiography Range Rover 2018:

European Autobiography Range Rover 2018:

and for those that don't believe me, take a look at a 2018 autobiography for sale w/ the "premium LED headlights"..... they are NOT the quad-beam LED headlights that were hyped about in the EU. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727760343/overview/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
151 Posts
US law doesn't support the use of LED headlights that can selectively dim areas. In Europe, the high beams are able to stay on and create a "hole" in the light around oncoming cars. Rather than use the most expensive and complex headlight assemblies with features that aren't legal in the US, they save money by simply using a simple two-stage LED assembly. The US DOT is glacially slow at updating laws for advancing tech. It's also why we don't get sweeping turn signals, etc.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts
Flipster, this is nothing new at all. Just look at the dozens of gizmos and accessories and even basic settings over the years that we do not have access to in the NAS builds. That's why when you see reviews, advertising or commercials there is usually a brief disclaimer that not all features are available in all markets or to visit your local dealer for details.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It is disappointing that we don't get the same assembly, just in case the law changes one day, or someone "figures out" a way to enable them.

A lot of manufactures use the same assemblies and just disable the features with software in the U.S.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To be even more specific, the US market will not be receiving the "PIXEL Laser LED Headlights" that were advertised -- these will only be available to Europe apparently. This is extremely disappointing, as these headlights are apparently some of the best LED headlights on the market in terms of brightness, distance traveled, etc.
4 Types are offered globally on the facelift L405:

- Premium LED with Signature DRL (fitted to US Spec vehicles)

- Matrix LED (these also have two projector units, but feature more than double the amount of LED Chipsets, include AFS and ADB functions)

- Pixel LED (4 Projector units each and include Static Turn and Dynamic Bend Lighting)

- Pixel LED + Laser (same as above with the supplementary Ultra Long Range Laser High Beam)

The tail lights also have a slightly different illumination pattern with the exterior lamps on and turn signal active along with the dynamic indicator function disabled.

It is disappointing that we don't get the same assembly, just in case the law changes one day, or someone "figures out" a way to enable them.

A lot of manufactures use the same assemblies and just disable the features with software in the U.S.
Both the House and Senate passed their own version last year but it’s been in Secretary Chao’s hands to administer the revision process. She cancelled the January hearing and set a postponement for June but sincerely doubt that won’t be pushed again and again.

I’ve gone through the programming and it could have been nothing more than 2 CCF Values changed from yes to no. Impossible to find out though with the minimum required hardware missing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I may may order a set of the pixel plus laser headlights and attempt to retrofit into a NAS 2017 Range Rover.

Are the 2018,headlights the same physical size as the 2017’s

- Matrix LED (these also have two projector units, but feature more than double the amount of LED Chipsets, include AFS and ADB functions)

- Pixel LED (4 Projector units each and include Static Turn and Dynamic Bend Lighting)

- Pixel LED + Laser (same as above with the supplementary Ultra Long Range Laser High Beam)

The tail lights also have a slightly different illumination pattern with the exterior lamps on and turn signal active along with the dynamic indicator function disabled.

Both the House and Senate passed their own version last year but it’s been in Secretary Chao’s hands to administer the revision process. She cancelled the January hearing and set a postponement for June but sincerely doubt that won’t be pushed again and again.

I’ve gone through the programming and it could have been nothing more than 2 CCF Values changed from yes to no. Impossible to find out though with the minimum required hardware missing.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,083 Posts
For 17 to 18 conversion, the grille would need to be changed too based on the outline of the headlights.

·
Registered
43 Posts
WOW! I hadn’t looked at prices, but I imagined the headlights would be ~$5k, not 20!
Try $5k for each Headlamp, 5 Control Modules (that’s all I’ve counted so far due to incomplete wiring diagrams), then depending on your build-date, the forward driver assistance camera system, Image Processing Module, Rear View Mirror, overhead control assembly, 2 major wiring harnesses up front (unless you absolutely want to re-pin a decent portion from the dash forward one by one), run 2 new bus networks so everything could communicate, and finally, obtain the security codes to program the self contained Laser modules internal to the Headlights. Without, they will never come on. Laser Headlights cannot be activated manually by the driver and the end line function release controller is isolated by law.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OK, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I WILL NOT be attempting this!

maybe someone smarter than me comes up with a plug and play solution using basically a lighting stand alone controller.

Try $5k for each Headlamp, 5 Control Modules (that’s all I’ve counted so far due to incomplete wiring diagrams), then depending on your build-date, the forward driver assistance camera system, Image Processing Module, Rear View Mirror, overhead control assembly, 2 major wiring harnesses up front (unless you absolutely want to re-pin a decent portion from the dash forward one by one), run 2 new bus networks so everything could communicate, and finally, obtain the security codes to program the self contained Laser modules internal to the Headlights. Without, they will never come on. Laser Headlights cannot be activated manually by the driver and the end line function release controller is isolated by law.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Flipster, this is nothing new at all. Just look at the dozens of gizmos and accessories and even basic settings over the years that we do not have access to in the NAS builds. That's why when you see reviews, advertising or commercials there is usually a brief disclaimer that not all features are available in all markets or to visit your local dealer for details.
I know! it's awful. I remember years back when Audi introduced their matrix LED headlights on the A8, I was pumped! I think car manufacturers have so many awesome signature designs with lighting now. When i heard they weren't coming to the US because of our oudated laws, it was extremely dissapointing.

the fact that the US is STILL lagging behind YEARS later on this issue is beyond me. its extremely backwards and un-innovative, and frankly - the technology is there. it makes things safer, and more aesthetically pleasing. its beyond me how slow our govt can be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

wow i didnt even realize that there were four different types. the fact that the US only gets (1) of these options is really sad, IMO. whats worse is that we get the complete worst of all options, with our US spec range rovers being so far behind Europe's models. its pathetic and irritating how it's being marketed as "premium headlights" when they are the same on a base model as they are on a top spec autobiography in the US.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a shame too, because with the multi-LED array you also get a sweep of the headlight LEDS when locking/unlocking the vehicle, like on the Chiron

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts