RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Time is near to buy and export a used 06/07 RRSC from the US to EU. I would appreciate any member opinions if it would be worthwhile to buy in the US and export it to EU. I do know that US examples tend to be in much better condition than what I find in the EU.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Are the export duties and safety conversions worth the hassle? To me it would make more sense to hold out for a good local example. Is there something hugely different in packaging here in the US that you can't get in your location?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I have done my homework, worked out the shipping, conversion, duty, legal, and register costs. In theory, it should save me approximately 13-20kUSD once completed, as compared with an equivalent EU example. I have seen a number of examples in the US (MA and NY) in dealerships which overall seem to be in better condition and many more accessories installed. Plus, the colour combination red/green exterior with ivory/sand interior is virtually non-existent in the EUI

With the last minute doubts, I hoping to have some support or experiences from members for encouragement.

·
Registered
528 Posts
A number of years ago, we brought our two cars with us to Switzerland. It was surprisingly easy, even not knowing the language. For us the key was to have a good guy on the shipping end in the destination country. They helped with registration, safety inspection, plates, the whole works. We did the math as well, and it really pays off.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Orientdude,

I recently started a thread about some of the same questions on the general chatter part of this forum, as I was, (and still am), thinking of taking my '03 Range to Germany next summer.
People do warn you that first registration of a vehicle never previously registered in the EU can be a hassle, plus the (green) tax payable in Germany, anyway, (I don't know anything about road taxes in Italy) which is based on emissions content, can be quite substantial. Then there is the cost of gasoline, which is from 150 % or more what it is in North America.

Used retail prices are substantially lower in North America, it is true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norval,
Fuel prices is not an issue. Actually, it is more like 3 times the cost of the US. For Italy to minimize the Italian legal and technical hassles I plan to import and register a RRSC into Germany first, then subsequently into Italy. The Germans are very efficient and adhere to the EU motor vehicle registration rules much more competently than the Italians. There is an agency that specializes in US vehicle importation into Germany or EU. If you need the info please PM me.

The reason I am looking at buying from the US is I cannot find the exterior/interior colour combination (red/green with Ivory/Aspen combo) and it it would save me money too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts