RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.6L, new coil, plugs, wires, and crank sensor. Also cleaned the MAF.

Went for a 4 mile drive, truck ran flawless. Parked it for an hour, started it back up and it was running rough and jerky. Being that the truck was new to me I though the gas gauge was messed up, because it ran like it was running out of gas. So I put some 93 in and it still ran rough. Very jerky/surging around 2k rpms, and would stall when coming to a stop.

When the truck warms up it misfires and throttle response sucks bellow 3k rpms. No fault codes were stored. Not sure what to check next. I tried running it with the MAF unplugged and the condition was about the same. Any help would be much appreciated, need to drive 250 miles tomorrow.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Put your old crank sensor back in. I spent awhile getting peaved at the same issue on my rig. The new/fresh out of box crank sensor was faulty. Once passed 2K RPM the sensor was unable to provide and accurate cam/crank relationship reading and the ECU would adjust the timing. This only made things worse. Popped my old sensor back in and all was good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The old one got destroyed by a torque converter bolt. I bent the old one back into shape and it ran but was having issues at highay speeds. Once I swapped in the new one yestrday the truck ran perfect. Just cleaned the idle control valve and the truck seems to drive fine again.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Could you advise if gems or bosch. If bosch I'm going to check my bolts. :shock:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's gems. But from the look of things, it looked like someone has had the trans off before. From doing some research it is my an unheard of problem. But the previous owners "mechanic" said the truck needed a motor so the PO sold it super cheap. So I wouldn't be suprised if the torque converter bolts weren't properly torqued.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the reply and I'm happy to hear that it seems sorted. After re reading your post I realize that with the parts you replaced you saved yourself from replacing the motor. Hope it keeps running for a long time. Did you know what had to be done or did you get lucky or both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts